princess genevieve

mercredi, mai 19, 2004

I saw one!

I saw my first cicada this morning. It's the 17th year, so we're due for a huge infestation of cicadas. Everyone has been talking about how they've seen them. Kate's husband Matt even made a movie about cicadas, because they have tons around their house. I hadn't seen one until this morning. I saw my first cicada of the season on a lightpost. I think they are supposed to cling to trees, but what do I know, I'm not a bug who spends 17 years underground. I also saw an exoskeleton clinging to a tree. My sister Leslie used to collect those when we were little. I have no idea what she was doing with them, all I know is I preferred to avoid them. I find cicadas creepy and kind of scary, even though I know they don't bite people. I hope we don't get zillions in my neighborhood, but because of all the trees around me, I'm pretty sure we will.

People have been talking about eating cicadas. I feel sick just thinking about it. Someone told me this morning he read about a cicada cookbook. Even chocolate covered, I'm sure I couldn't eat a cicada.

2 Comments:

At 5/19/2004 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ewwwwww - I HATE CICADAS!!!! Good luck :)

--martha

 
At 5/19/2004 4:30 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I hate them too. Their beady red eyes creep me out!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home