princess genevieve

vendredi, octobre 03, 2008

Last Night

I went to a concert with my friends Kate and Erin. Not just any concert, a New Kids on the Block concert. I am fairly embarrassed by this, but feel that you, my dear readers, would like to hear all about it.

I was a pretty huge New Kids fan in middle school and high school, despite my friend Martha's attempts to make me a cooler music listener. (Martha listened to such hip offerings as Souxie and the Banchees.) But, I had never actually been to a New Kids show before, mostly because they came to Washington in the summers, and I was always in New Orleans with my grandparents. And also, my parents didn't approve of the NKOTB obsession.

Anyway. The concert was terrible. And awesome. Seriously, having never been to a boy band concert before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I also don't usually go to shows that take place in stadiums. We were all the way in the top rafters (for $78! Like I was going to pay MORE) and I got vertigo, but it was worth it.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how few songs I recognized and remembered the words to. (By the end of 12th grade, I actually had decent taste in music and had given up my pop music tendencies for the much more hip, now defunct, WFHS fm.)

Anyway, there were lots of costume changes, a rotating round stage in the middle of the audience, fireworks, and some screaming. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the evening.

Me: Do you think Joey waxes his chest?
Kate: Probably, but he's still cute.
Me: I'm just sayin', that shirt is unbuttoned pretty far down for that lack of hair to be natural...

Erin: I think I thought I was a much bigger New Kids fan than I actually am.
Me: Agreed.

Kate: Is Jordan gay?
Me: Not sure...

Later in the evening, after Jordan has ripped open his shirt and is standing in front of a wind machine...

Kate: Yes, wax was used.
Me: Yes, Jordan's gay. How did we not know that before?!

Kate: Why do they keep Jonathan around? He doesn't sing or dance...
Me: And who let Danny in the group? Is he, like, Donnie's best friend or something?

Erin: Why is Joey wearing a scarf?
Me: um, it's jaunty? My great-aunt Genevieve used to wear scarves like that...

Me: Does Donnie keep wearing a baseball hat with every outfit because he is balding?
Kate: YES.

Donnie: We just want to thank everyone for coming out. We're not sure why this tour has been such a success. Maybe everyone wants to pretend they are 15 again.
Me: Try 13, Donnie.
Erin: I was 8!!!

Erin took photos, so when she emails them to me I'll post them.

Libellés : ,

7 Comments:

At 10/03/2008 10:48 AM, Blogger trash said...

OK so I wasn't actually at the concert but having read those exchanges, I feel sure your conversations were the absolute best part of the night!

 
At 10/03/2008 11:45 AM, Blogger Mama said...

Thanks goodness for the HFS comment - it just may have saved our blog-ship ($78 to see NKOTB?!?!?! That is wrong on so many levels.)

 
At 10/03/2008 3:01 PM, Blogger Brena said...

I was 9 when I begged to go to a NKOTB concert. My father said no when my cousin unnecessarily tattled that they hump the floor. Do they still hump the floor?

I recently saw a NKOTB Christmas special on You Tube from back in the day... man they were pretty awful!!! I do believe the song was titled "Funky Funky Christmas". The phrase "Kick the ballistics Santa Clause" was used. You should look it up because as terrible as it was, it's also kinda awesome. Much like your concert. :)

I think it's funny that you guys realized that he must wax his chest. In my NKOTB days I didn't even know men HAD chest hair! HA!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10/03/2008 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I'm so jealous! It's been a long time since I've seen them in concert (I admit it, I've seen them twice) but your recollection took me right back to 1990.
--Erin

 
At 10/05/2008 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

omg!! nkotb concert?? i used to be their biggest fan when i was still in primary school!!! hahahaha

 
At 10/06/2008 2:13 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

ah, the closet NKOTB fans come out. Thanks, girls, for not making me feel like a gigantic loser. :-)

 
At 10/07/2008 10:19 AM, Blogger alt.ayu said...

hey hey i would go to an NKOTB concert too!! in fact i almost bought their new album last weekend but unfortunately I didn't bring out my wallet with me :(

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home