princess genevieve

jeudi, septembre 16, 2004

Hurricane Ivan

I'm really sorry for all the people in Alabama and Florida, getting hit by Ivan. Really, I am. And I know it's going to seem like I'm not when I say this next bit. I'm glad it was them and not New Orleans. Pretty much any other city is better able to deal with massive hurricanes than New Orleans, built under sea level. My whole family had evacuated to various other points around Louisiana. My poor mom, it took her 4 hours to get from her house to the airport, which at most should take 30 minutes. I read an article yesterday in the Washington Post about how any hurricane over category 3 could completely destroy New Orleans, kill hundreds of thousands of people, and it might not be worth it to re-build. Which is very, very scary to me. Sure, lots of people would be sad to not be able to go to Mardi Gras or take vacations in New Orleans. I think it's different when your family lives there, has always lived there, though. It's like they'd become refugees in their own country, never able to go home again.

So now we just watch Jeanne...

1 Comments:

At 9/21/2004 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

G, As my sister in Austin would say, you touched my heart. Well put. P

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home