princess genevieve

vendredi, janvier 21, 2005

The bird and the net

Yesterday was a holiday. Yay. I started housesitting yesterday. So I went over there around 2:00, and my friend Mandy came over around 3:30 to hang out. We're walking around the house, and we notice there's a bird in there. Like a wild, outdoor type bird. I have no idea what kind... I don't like birds very much. So we tried to shoo it out the door, but it wouldn't go, and then we kind of lost it.

I called Animal Control. While we were waiting, I held the door open (in the freezing cold, snow, with the dog on her leash so she didn't attack the bird) and Mandy tried to catch it in a box to set it free. Some time during this process, we lost the bird again.

Then 2 police with big gloves on came in, and we started searching the house for the bird. My favorite part was when one of the police officers says to the pet bird in a cage, "Where's your brother?" haha. I was totally cracking up the whole time, anyway, but that was over the top.

The police were about to give up and leave, one of them saying, "You escaped the law this time, bird!" when an Animal Control guy showed up. With a giant net. He started tapping on stuff until the bird flew out, and then the three of them started chasing it around the house until they caught it in the net, and then let it go free outside.

Mandy says she kept imagining them putting tiny wing-cuffs on the bird & taking it to the station.

This is the funniest thing that's happened to me in a while.

4 Comments:

At 1/21/2005 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Funny story! Why did the police show up? I don't really understand how they would have been able to help. I guess they proved to no be too much help. I can just picture you guys searching for the bird though. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Leslie

 
At 1/22/2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I'm not sure why the police showed up. Maybe they were bored? One of the offiers said the other has had "animal" training so he likes to take the animal control calls. Maybe that's why. But he didn't even have a net. Which let me tell you was key.

 
At 1/24/2005 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hi, it's Jayne. Too bad I wasn't in town because I'm quite the bird wrangler myself...a trained professional, you know (haha). That's a great story. Bizarre that the police were there. Aren't they supposed to be out catching real criminals? What are our taxes paying for anyway?!

 
At 1/24/2005 11:29 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

hum, yeah, too bad you were away! I could have used your raptor training. Cause let me tell you, that thing was vicious. ok, not really vicious, per say, more frantic.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home