princess genevieve

lundi, octobre 10, 2005

Ceilings should stay UP

Friday night, we had a lot of rain. Around midnight, I walked into my bedroom, and noticed that a large chunk of my ceiling was on the floor. In a spot where they've repaired water damage spots and leaks about 4 times. Each time they repair it, I ask if they've fixed the hole in the roof, and each time, I've been told they're "taking bids." This has been going on for over a year.

I cleaned up as best I could, and spread an old shower curtain on the floor. I put bowls under the leaks. Threw out wet plaster. I got up at 6:30 Saturday morning and called the emergency maintenance number. The guy called me back pretty quickly, and said there was nothing he could do. I pretty much lost it then. Honestly. I don't know what else I can do, other than tell the management office this is going on.

Around 7, the maintenance guy came over and put a giant bucket in the attic, so at least the water wasn't leaking into my room, and then he cleaned up my room.

This morning, I spoke to the management office. She tried to defend herself, saying things like "I can't make the decision on big things like this, it's the main management office" and "when we bought the place we were told the roof was in good shape, but it's not." OK, like I care who needs to make the decision, and also? didn't they have inspectors out before they bought the place?

End result: she took $229 off my rent for October, and she claims the roofers will be out this week. I told her if they're not, I'm calling the District Housing Authority. A year is long enough.

5 Comments:

At 10/10/2005 12:52 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

Because my fiance HAPPENS to be a property manager, I know that is IS their responsibility. Make those bastards do their job, Vieve! You're paying good money to live there.

 
At 10/10/2005 1:03 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

thanks for the encouragement!

 
At 10/11/2005 5:14 AM, Blogger Reuss said...

That sucks: it seems to be the season for water-related domestic problems. You give them a good kicking and make them do what they're paid to do!

 
At 10/11/2005 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Geez...that's horrible. No matter what, I'd contact the housing people. That's unacceptable! Good luck...I hope they fix it soon. It's raining again today!

 
At 10/11/2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

thanks guys!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home