princess genevieve

jeudi, octobre 06, 2005

Kids + Rated R Movies = A-OK?

Monday, Colleen & I went to a screening of Domino. I wasn't super excited about the movie to begin with, but I like Kiera Knightly, so I thought I'd give it a go. The movie was interesting. It did make me want to learn what had really happened to Domino Harvey and what was made up for the movie. But the parts I thought I wouldn't like -- primarily, the violence -- I didn't like. There was a lot of violence. Granted, it's a movie about bounty hunters, so I knew that going in.

The thing that got me was there were KIDS in this screening. Little kids, like 6 and 7 years old. What are they doing in an R rated movie that starts at 7:30 on a Monday night? Colleen pointed out that Tuesday was a school holiday (Rosh Hashanah) so maybe they were allowed to stay up later, but we couldn't figure out why any parent in their right mind would bring a kid to a movie about a bounty hunter. Even movie screenings that are for kids' movies don't draw in that many kids. I think I saw 2 kids at the Two Brothers screening last summer, and Alison went to Wallace & Gromit and she said there were not a lot of kids there.