princess genevieve

jeudi, septembre 22, 2005

Illumination

Last night I went to a screening of Everything is Illuminated starring Elijah Wood. I really, really loved this movie, and would highly recommend it to everyone. I almost didn't go, because I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me and I wasn't sure if I felt like going alone, but I'm super glad I decided to go. And yay! Less weirdos there than last week's screening, although the woman who was initially sitting next to me was weird. I had left my book bag in my seat and gone to get a snack before the movie started. When I came back and sat down, she immediately got up and moved seats. Maybe she thought that seat was empty, but a pink and purple book bag in the seat should be a pretty good clue that someone will be returning. About 5 minutes later, she moved from that seat, complaining loudly that the people next to her were "eating Popeye's."

On my walk home from the bus stop last night, I saw an unfortunate situation. Someone had been evicted from their apartment, so all their stuff was on the street. And the vultures had landed. In general, when I've seen evictions, people don't take the stuff. They are generally respectful and wait a few days to see if the evicted family will come back for the stuff. Last night, however, people were stocking up. People were lounging on mattresses on the sidewalk. Filling up luggage carts with chairs. Sorting through dresser drawers of clothes. It was depressing.

2 Comments:

At 9/22/2005 4:02 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I am eagerly awaiting the release of that movie in the theaters here as it DOES look like it will be good.

That is really sad that people were looting the evicted people. I can't imagine how much it would suck to find out that not only did you lose your apartment but most of your stuff as well...

 
At 9/22/2005 4:08 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Oh, I hope you like the movie, Molly! I loved it. While I was waiting, someone was talking about how their friend had seen it and they thought it was "quirky." I didn't find it quirky. (maybe I see more than the average number of quirky movies so my quirkiness level is different?)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home