princess genevieve

vendredi, septembre 16, 2005

I don't always fit in

Last night, I went to a Junior League happy hour that I had planned. One of the committees I am on is the Transfer Committee. We help members who are transferring in to our League from another League. They have certain requirements, like they must attend one Transfer Committee event per month (like my happy hour.) Anyway, since I planned it, I picked a bar in my neighborhood. Hey, what can I say, I like the bar, but more importantly, I'm all about convenience. I like to be able to walk home.

Anyway. Last night, during the happy hour, someone turned to me and said, "Wow. Are there conservative people in this area?" um. I don't know. I don't know any, that's for sure. I'm not one. I realize that I don't always fit in with the Junior League, but sometimes, someone says something like that and I realize exactly how much I don't fit in. I think that there are certainly people who I do fit in with, like my friend Erin, but it just takes longer to scout them out. I should be used to this. I went to college in San Antonio, Texas. Not exactly a bastion of liberalness.

Halfway through the happy hour, my friends Robin & Byron walked into the same bar for dinner. Funny. I feel like I'm turning into my aunt in New Orleans, who sees people she knows every time she leaves her house.

7 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 11:54 AM, Blogger Amy M. said...

I guess it's a lot like any big organization. There are a lot of women I really like in my League. But there are others I decidedly DON'T like. I'm serving on two committees---Development and Holiday Mart. Whew! I'm trying to decide whether to transfer to the Sonoma League or the San Francisco League. I can't decide!

 
At 9/19/2005 12:00 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yes, definitely, you're right about any big organization.

Can you talk to people in both of the leagues before you decide? I know here, the Northern Virginia league is apparently more for stay at home moms, so a lot of our members actually live in Northern Virginia but don't fit in there. Maybe someone can give you info like that.

 
At 9/19/2005 10:38 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

*Possible dumb question alert*
What's a league? Seems to be some sort of US-specific reference that my Aussie brain has never heard of.

 
At 9/19/2005 11:03 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Nope, Paisley, not a dumb question! the Junior League is an organization of women that is focused on volunteerism. My chapter (and I think Amy's, too) is specifically focused on literacy. You have certain requirements each year depending on what committee you join. I am on 2 committees -- one for the transfers (from other cities) and one for the folger Shakespeare Library.

The Junior League is all over the US, since it was founded in New York, but also in Canada, Mexico, and England. I don't think it's in Australia, so that's probably why you don't know it!

Amy, anything else to add that would help explain?

 
At 9/21/2005 12:26 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

The Junior League started in the early 1900's in the Upper East part of the United States as a way for young socialites to give back to the community. It became stereotyped over the years as a voluntary organization for the "gloves and pearls" set. Or a post-college sorority. There are now Leagues all over the United States and Great Britain. While some of them are still more socially focused than volunteer focused, the purpose is to improve the community through voluntarism while training young women as leaders.

 
At 9/21/2005 12:43 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Wow, look at that! Amy, did you write that yourself? if so, I am impressed!

 
At 9/21/2005 1:01 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

Yes, I wrote that all by myself. Woo hoo!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home