princess genevieve

mercredi, décembre 07, 2005

Adventures on the bus, #128362



The bus rocked last night! Oh my gosh, so many crazy things happened. It was super crowded. I'll recap 2 of my favorite overheard conversations for you.

Man runs up to the bus, knocks on the door.
Girl: Um, Mr. Bus Driver? There's someone who wants to get on.
Bus Driver: Ma'am? Am I doing my job? I don't pick up nobody from the street!
Girl looks at me, quizzically. I shrug, trying not to laugh.

Later.

Woman, just getting on the bus: Is this a 70 bus?
Bus Driver: Lady, what street you on? [note: to be fair, we were on 16th St NW. Only S buses go on 16th St, and everyone who takes the bus knows that]
Woman: Um, yeah, 16th Street, but I'm telling you, the sign on the bus says 70.
Bus Driver: That is MECHANICAL. Come on. You know better.
Woman: What is wrong with you? Metro is always complaining about how they can't raise any money. It's no wonder, with rude employees. I pay your salary!
Bus Driver: You want to walk?
Woman: Merry Christmas to you, Brother.
Bus Driver: Yeah, it's been jolly so far. This day keeps getting better and better.

I checked when I got off the bus. The sign on the front of the bus said S4. I don't know how she got 70 out of that. I have never even heard of a 70 bus.

And then, even better, when I got to my apartment building, there was a cop on the street. Riding a horse. I have never seen a cop on a horse in my 'hood before! I was so excited. I felt rather colonial, minus the white wigs and the smells and the smoked pork. I wanted to take a picture, but I wasn't sure if that was allowed and I didn't want to end up in the slammer.

2 Comments:

At 12/07/2005 10:41 AM, Blogger Molly said...

Bus Drivers sure are characters! Glad you had some entertainment for the trip home yesterday.

In St. Louis at dusk every night down town by the arch the horse mounted police come out, it is pretty cool to watch...and you can totally take pictures. I bet if you had asked the policeman would have been nice (might have even been cute!)

 
At 12/07/2005 10:44 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I'm glad the bus was entertaining, too, because it was crowded to the point of being completely uncomfortable, and I even had a seat.

I should've asked! He seemed nice... he waived and said hi to a kid out walking his dog. Next time...

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home