princess genevieve

lundi, décembre 04, 2006

It's the Creche!

the creche! Or crib, or nativity scene, or nativity set, whatever you will. This is a very special creche. My parents bought it for me in 1998, when they went to Guadalajara. My grandparents were on vacation there when my grandpa died, and so then my parents flew down to Mexico to help my granny get everything taken care of. And apparently, they also shopped for Christmas accessories!

I kid because I love. I do actually really love this set. And the Australian wildlife toys were added last year, when my friend Michael, who is Australian, sent them to me for Christmas. I mean, who's to say there wasn't a koala present at the birth of the baby Jesus? (OK, chances are, probably not, but I suppose the world may never know...)

And can you see the dreidel, just off to the right? Someone gave that to me last year when I volunteered at the Washington Jewish Film Festival. (I volunteered this year and came home with a Lufthansa post-it notepad... I think the dreidel is better!) He also taught me to play, but I promptly forgot the rules. Anyway. Jesus was Jewish, right, so he will know how to play. So I leave it out there next to the creche because as we all know, toys come to life while we sleep, and I want the baby Jesus to have something to play with.

Maybe I shouldn't blog right before bed anymore. I feel like too much of the crazy just came out.

Libellés :

9 Comments:

At 12/05/2006 1:07 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

If Love Actually can have more than one lobster present at the birth of baby Jesus, then I reckon you can have a koala, a wombat and a tassie devil there too. :-)

 
At 12/05/2006 8:59 AM, Blogger Jasclo said...

So cute!

 
At 12/05/2006 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I love the koala!

I've got a similar set from an aunt's visit to Mexico--only it somehow came with two Marys and no Joseph. I love it--but I haven't dug up any decorations yet. If I do I'll share a picture.

 
At 12/05/2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Molly said...

That looks quite festive. Though I fear that if baby Jesus plays with the dreidel and isn't careful it may fall over and crush him. It looks like it is ten times his size!

 
At 12/05/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger Amie said...

So cute :D I think I remember the dreidel from last year.

 
At 12/05/2006 10:37 AM, Blogger Mama said...

I am a big fan of the Nativity (have four sets and am always keeping an eye out for another to add to the collection)!

If you have a free moment you should pop by the Washington National Cathedral to see their collection; I think that it is on display throughout Advent and the 20 Days of Christmas. You won't believe some of the things that are present at the manger!

 
At 12/05/2006 10:49 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Paisley, fair point!

Jasclo, thanks!

Katie, thanks! And wow, you have a really special set!

Molly, you're correct, the dreidel is at least 10 times his size! hopefully his parents will watch out for him :-)

Amie, yep, I had the dreidel out last year, too.

Dennis' Mom, good idea! Did you know that I made my confirmation at the National Cathedral? (no, there's no way you could've known that!) And we used to go there for Christmas Eve. (it is an Episcopal cathedral and we are Episcopalian)

 
At 12/05/2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Amy M. said...

You know, I also have several nativity scenes although most are with my mom.

My one big souvenir from our honeymoon was an olive-wood creche from Assisi. I wanted one so badly because St. Francis was the one who invented the creche to use as a teaching tool. I figured we could hand it down to our children. If we ever have any...

 
At 12/06/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Jay said...

That reminds me of my mother's creche set, all ceramics that she had hand-painted herself well before I was born. Every year the donkey was a bit more chipped, but taking the set out of its box was one of my favourite parts of the holiday.

Thanks for sharing.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home