princess genevieve

jeudi, novembre 30, 2006

Holiday Meme

From Amy.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Wrapped but when I was little, not wrapped. Or, not all wrapped.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Well, I prefer white lights. But my tree is this little two-footer I bought at CVS a few years ago. (yeah, it's fake... I live in a third floor walk up! Who wants to haul a tree up that.) Anyway, it's got fiber optic lights. I think you can change out the colored for white, but I decided if I'm going to have a tacky bought at the drug store tree, I want it to be as tacky as possible. So the colored lights stay.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? no. but I do have a creche. does that count for anything?

5. When do you put up your decorations? the first weekend in December. must do it this weekend.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Yorkshire pudding.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? waking up early to run downstairs & see what Santa brought.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Santa is real! He lives in your heart. Just ask my mama.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We have a family party on Christmas Eve and everyone gets one present. We open those.

10. What kind of decorations are on your Christmas Tree? the same ones I've had since I was a baby. Most have my name on them. My favorite (which I don't hang on the tree, for fear it will fall & break) is a St Charles Ave streetcar painted red with a wreath on it and it says "Genevieve. 1979." I don't know where it came from!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread? I hate snow.

12. Can you ice skate? I even took lessons. But still, not very well.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Oh, I can't pick one!

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? I love chosing presents for people!

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I love my sister's buckeyes and Mrs. Sebastian's sugar cookies. Which reminds me to email her for the recipe for those puppies.

16 What is your favorite holiday tradition? I really like our Christmas dinner food.

17. What tops your tree? an angel

18. What is your favourite holiday book? I don't have one. but my favorite Christmas movie? Home Alone.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? O Holy Night

20. Candy Canes! Yucky or Yummy? yucky. I don't like peppermint very much.

Libellés : ,

7 Comments:

At 12/01/2006 4:02 AM, Blogger Reuss said...

What is a creche? I thought it was nursery school (i.e. kindergarten (I think that's the right US term)).

I can't log onto my blog from work, but I am bored, so I have filled in my own answers just for this comment. Sorry this is going to fill your comments page really full ;)

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate. I'm not sure I know what egg nog really is, but it sounds vile.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Santa presents are wrapped and put in a stocking. Presents from real people (or officially real people) go under the tree (also wrapped... do people have unwrapped presents under the tree? I don't understand this question).

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White lights on a tree, although I grew up with coloured lights so I'm easy. For a few years I had green LED lights from Ikea on my teeny tiny fake tree. And no lights on a house because bleh.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I don't.

5. When do you put up your decorations? Early December. Ish.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Roast parsnips in parmesan. So delish.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? My little brother waking everyone up incredibly early, going downstairs to see if Santa had been, imy teeth chattering with excitement and cold, my dad lighting the fire.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember... I tried to hang onto the belief long after a really knew the truth.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Not traditionally, but now we have my brothers- and sister-in-law over on Christmas Eve so we do presents to/from them then.

10. What kind of decorations are on your Christmas Tree? Some extremely cheap ones that we've collected in various January sales over the past few years. Mostly in gold and red, I think. Our tree is a fake one, and very small: I'd like to replace it with a bigger one this year but they're expensive... but it'd be nice to have a nicer tree with nicer decorations.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread? I love it initially, and then hate it as the UK grinds to a halt.

12. Can you ice skate? No :(

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Probably my sewing machine, the year before last.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Finding presents for other people.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I can't choose one!

16 What is your favorite holiday tradition? Being with my family.

17. What tops your tree? A tinfoil star.

18. What is your favourite holiday book? I'm not sure I know any.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Musically, "In The Bleak Midwinter"

20. Candy Canes! Yucky or Yummy? Yucky, they never taste like proper peppermint rock, which they should.

 
At 12/01/2006 10:15 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

A creche, yeah, is a nursery school, but we also use it to mean a nativity set? I think there's another word for it. You know, the tiny Mary/baby Jesus/sheep sets.

Also, we use kindergarten for only one year of school - the first year you are in regular, ie, not nursery, school, when you are 5. Generally a half day program but I think more are going to full days. Before kindergarten we call it nursery school, pre-school, or pre-k.

When I was little we did have unwrapped presents under the tree - like if Santa brought you a bike, it would be just next to the tree, unwrapped. I think that's what that question means.

And yay! I'm glad to hear from you!

 
At 12/01/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Jasclo said...

Ay yi yi, Christmas. I've been thinking about shopping and decorating, I just haven't done any of those things.

 
At 12/01/2006 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

gifts from santa were unwrapped and placed by the fireplace on christmas morning which were usually just one big item for each kid. all of the other gifts from parents, friends and family were wrapped and under the tree. Elves apparantly didn't do gift wrapping in our version of Santa's Workshop.

 
At 12/04/2006 5:00 AM, Blogger Reuss said...

Aha, I've always referred to a nativity set as a crib :)

 
At 12/04/2006 9:57 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

oh, crib! I've never heard it called a crib. But makes sense.

but what do you call the bed a baby sleeps in? We call that a crib but I think other English speakers call it a cot?

 
At 12/04/2006 6:22 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

Here we call the creche/crib a nativity scene (matching the nativity play that a few schools are still allowed to do). Creche here tends to refer specifically to day-care centres attached to organisations or churches.
Kindergarten is a non-compulsory year prior to starting school - although that varies a bit from state to state.
Babies sleep in cots here - although I think perhaps the really little beds they sleep in at the hospital might be called cribs.
Oh - and presents? They're always wrapped (except one year when I got a trampoline).

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home