princess genevieve

mardi, avril 15, 2008

Metro Woes

Dear Non-Regular Metro Rider,

Maybe in whatever place you come from, people stand on both sides of the escalator step. Well. Here in Washington, we stand to the right, so that people who want to walk up or down can get past easily on the left.

I know some of our escalators are really big. I would still recommend you stand, and not sit on them. Sitting on escalator steps seems dangerous. And maybe a bit dirty.

If I ask you to please step to the right, could you just do it? Don't roll your eyes at me or make some comment about how I must be in SUCH a hurry I can't wait for the escalator to take me to the bottom. That's right, maybe I am in a hurry.

Also, if you have big strollers, please use the elevator.

Love,
Genevieve

PS - Maybe you might want to walk down the escalators too? It will save you about 10 minutes at Woodley Park alone, and it's not like the exercise will kill you.

Libellés : , ,

9 Comments:

At 4/15/2008 4:29 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I can't even imagine trying to bring a stroller on an elevator!

 
At 4/15/2008 11:23 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Our escalators work in much the same fashion, stupid tourists and all.

 
At 4/16/2008 9:25 AM, Blogger DDanielle said...

I work in one of the few touristy buildings in Detroit. Our visitors stop once they get off the escalator. Its a confusing building so they stop and try to figure out where they are, however they forget other people are also getting off the escalator behind them. Very annoying.

 
At 4/16/2008 10:07 AM, Blogger Molly said...

What an annoyance! I hate when that happens at the airport as well when people and their suitcases take up the entire people movers not giving you room to walk by...even if I am not in a hurry, sometimes I just want to keep walking!

 
At 4/16/2008 1:20 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Such bad manners! My only experience with the Metro was a year ago, and I was TOTALLY deferential to the regulars (I like to think so, at least). I wish I had a "hey, I'm new!" sticker to wear so people would cut me some slack when I slipped up. If I had, maybe I wouldn't have had to walk three miles back to my hotel when I couldn't figure out how to get on the right train.

 
At 4/16/2008 11:12 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

it sounds like everyone's city has its own troubles with tourists :-)

Gary, oh no! I can't believe you had to walk three miles... you should have asked someone! I promise, even though we get irritated when people don't follow the rules, we are actually very happy to help people with directions!!

 
At 4/17/2008 9:54 AM, Blogger trash said...

oh dear. Bad experience, huh?

 
At 4/17/2008 11:20 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Actually, my walk turned out to be kind of a fun way to experience D.C. If I get lost there again, I just might give you a call!

 
At 4/17/2008 11:24 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

trashy, the problem is, one of the stations by my house is also the stop for the zoo. So on weekends, it's jam-packed with tourists and strollers and people who just don't follow the rules. SO frustrating!

Gary, please do!! (even if you are not lost!)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home