princess genevieve

vendredi, juin 06, 2008

Volunteering for Tips

I volunteer at a theatre, and my favorite task there is to work the bar. I love it! I'm sure I wouldn't love it if it were my job, and I don't love the weird men who try and flirt with me, but for the most part, I love pouring bad wine (I always fill the glass to the very top, because I think $5 for a glass of bad wine is a bit of a rip-off) and getting cookies and making change.

Lately, though, people have been trying to tip me! I wonder if they think working the bar at the Folger is my job. I wonder if they have been conditioned by Starbucks to tip. I always say "Oh, no thank you, I'm a volunteer," but lately, they've been more and more insistent. Last night, I started saying my "no thank you" bit, but I only got to "I'm a volun..." and the guy said "shhhhh!" and pressed a dollar into my hand.

I dropped it into the cash box with the rest of the money, as I do with all my tips. Consider it payment for the mint chocolate squares I ate last night.

Libellés :

2 Comments:

At 6/08/2008 12:16 PM, Blogger trash said...

Crazy! You should take the money and run. It might add up to $20 or more over the year!!

 
At 6/09/2008 1:25 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

so true! I could treat myself and um, maybe one other person to McDonald's!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home