princess genevieve

mardi, juillet 29, 2008

Good bye, Old Friend

Pictured above is my car. Or, what was my car. I donated it today to WAMU.

I loved my car. My parents bought it for me as a college graduation present. But it was old. Really old. 21, in fact. In car years, that's like 97. (I think. My math is not very specific or good.) It needed a whole new electrical system, to the tune of $3000+. And it had been hit a zillion times. It also needed the oil changed and the insurance bill was due, and I just decided I didn't need to keep it anymore.

I had been thinking for a while that I would get a new car. But then I sort of thought more about it. I don't use the car more than once a week, and then only to run errands and stuff. I probably don't really need a car. It's just, I'm American, right? And Americans have cars. But I decided that isn't a good enough reason to buy another car if I don't need it.

So for now, I'm going to use Zipcar, which I've been using for over a year anyway, for those times when I wanted air conditioning or um, headlights that work or something crazy like that. It's been working pretty well for me.

I will miss my car, but I feel good about this decision.

Libellés :

6 Comments:

At 7/29/2008 4:36 PM, Blogger Molly said...

good-bye car! Did you pose for any portraits to frame and put about the apartment to remember the good times?

 
At 7/29/2008 4:39 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

sadly, no. This photo above is about it!

 
At 7/29/2008 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh, poor Volvie. It sure had a good run. My parents finally donated my old '85 this spring. :(
--Erin

 
At 7/31/2008 1:42 AM, Blogger alt.ayu said...

I love old cars like these so even though I didn't get a chance to meet you in person - Goodbye Car!!

 
At 8/04/2008 2:27 AM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

good-bye car! i remember driving behind you many moons ago with a broken tail light. I admire your ability to embrace a car-free life. (at least car ownership free). - The Car Slave from LA

 
At 8/04/2008 7:16 PM, Blogger trash said...

ooo! Brave step ma American cousine. No car? Very brave.

The purchase and operational cost of running a car is an aaaaaaaawful lot of taxis!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home