princess genevieve

mercredi, novembre 24, 2004

How-dy!

Last night Jayne & I went to see the new Bridget Jones movie. (In case you are concerned, I'll post a haiku review later.) I was in the snack line, which was possibly the slowest moving snack line in the history of snack lines. And only 2 people were in front of me. While I was waiting in line, I realized the snack lady was speaking really, really loudly.

When it was finally my turn, she greeted me with a loud "HOWDY!" um, OK. This movie theatre was in Maryland. I don't think I have ever once been greeted with a non-ironic howdy in Maryland. But I digress. So I ordered my coke and popcorn. It took her forever. While she was pouring the coke, she says to me (still quite loudly) "SO, if you want 2 large sodas and 1 large popcorn, you get a free candy!" I didn't quite know what to say to that. I was standing there by myself. I had ordered 1 small soda and 1 small popcorn. Since she hadn't really asked me if I wanted that deal, I just didn't say anything.

Once she was finally done with my popcorn and coke, she came back to the register, and loudly announced what I had ordered, took my $20, and then loudly announced my change. You know, "$4.25 out of $20.25, here's $16.00 back." (just in case you're wondering, I had a coupon for free popcorn, so the $4.25 was only for the coke. We do not have extraordinarily cheap concessions or anything.) I would really prefer that the whole room not know what I ordered, and not know how much change I had just been given. Not that I expect someone to mug me in the middle of the UA lobby for $16.00, but still. What if I had given her $100.25? Would she then loudly have announced, "ok, here's your $96.00!" Not smart. (and ok, not that I carry hundreds often.)

The movie was cute though. Not as good as the first one, but still cute.

2 Comments:

At 11/24/2004 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

it's jayne. everytime i see you now, i'm going to say HOWDY! in a really loud voice...

 
At 11/24/2004 1:39 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Please no!! Not the HOWDY!!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home