princess genevieve

mercredi, décembre 14, 2005

It is FREEZING

Well, technically, below freezing. When I left the house this morning, it was 20 degrees. That's like, um, well, negative Celsius degrees. I wish I had paid more attention in science. I never know how to convert temperatures. The whole time I lived in France, I had no idea what the temperature was. I'd hear that it was 20 degrees, and think, hum. I know 0C is 32F. Other than that, I have NO IDEA! Is 20 hot? Cold? I still don't know! It sounds cold to me, which means it's probably hot. I had to use the stick my head out the window test every morning to get dressed. Which wasn't that big a deal, as I had no tv anyway, so if I had wanted to hear the temperature from a reporter, I would have had to have gone into the dorm's TV room. Which I never did.

Sigh. Sometimes, I really feel American, in that Americans-are-weird kind of way. Temperatures, measurements, weights, the $2 coin in Canada, they all do that to me.

But next week, yay, I'll be in New Orleans for Christmas, where 50F (that's like, what, 17C? No. I have no idea.) is considered "really cold." Can't wait.

7 Comments:

At 12/14/2005 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

50 F is about 10 C and 20 F is about -7 C. Being in the sciences forces me to use Celsius, kilograms, and the entire metric system. I like it much better because it makes much more sense than the American system.

 
At 12/14/2005 3:11 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

thanks! I agree it makes more sense. I know how to convert like milimeters into centimeters, etc, but I can't convert centimeters into inches!

 
At 12/14/2005 4:05 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I can't convert to Celsius without looking up the formula either and since I dropped my pre-med major a good number of years ago...it is not knowledge at the forefront.

It was cold in NC today as well, 25 when I left my house which is unusually cold for NC!

 
At 12/14/2005 6:59 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

Brrrr..... It is supposed to be a high in the low 20's this weekend so I guess I shouldn't complain. We have had a few nights below zero though. I think when it gets to a certain level....it's just cold.

 
At 12/14/2005 9:07 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Its been a very cold December. In college, I lived right across the border from Canada and I was starting to get pretty good at converting temps but I don't remember anymore.

 
At 12/15/2005 12:17 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

I'm useless at translating temps the other way. It's 30 C here today - I looked it up - that's 86 F! Anything over 30 is starting to get uncomfortable here. 25 C is comfortably warm - then all we have to worry about is the UV radiation!

 
At 12/15/2005 10:26 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

86 is pretty warm!! I'm jealous. It's like 20 F here today and snowing.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home