princess genevieve

lundi, janvier 09, 2006

Sickling



I've been sick since Friday night. I think it's a cold, but it's pretty bad. I'm at work, but seeing as how I've filled my office trash can with kleenex, I may go home early.

Yesterday, I only left the apartment one time, to go buy orange juice at Safeway. When I was walking up, I noticed a new sign on the street (pictured, left, although it's hard to see -- it's the short sign right in front of the white car). On the way back, I stopped to read the sign. It was really interesting. There's a new "Adams Morgan Heritage Trail" walk that these signs chronicle. They tell you the history of our neighborhood. This sign told the history of Lanier Heights, which is the part of the 'hood I live in. In the early 1900s, it became a city neighborhood (previously, it was more suburban, but as the city grew, it absorbed more suburbs.) In the 1920s, it was largely home to a Jewish population. In the 1940s and 1950s, it was a model of integration for the rest of the city. And in the 1970s, the FBI chased a resident around on the rooftops! She was accused of bombing the capital. Apparently nothing exciting has happened since then, because that's where it ended.

Anyway, while I was standing there reading, this woman came up to me and asked me if I was lost. I told her no, I was just reading the sign because it was new. She said, "Oh, I thought it was a map!" Oh. OK. I think there is a tiny map of the Heritage Trail on the sign, but it is most definitely not a map.

I need to find the rest of the signs! I think there are about 15 of them.

6 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Sorry to hear you are sick! I had a cold with a cough over New Year's but it was pretty mild. Lots of fluids and Nyquil at night to sleep.

Very interesting signs. I'd be interested to read them too. Maybe once you are feeling better, we can take a little tour of your neighborhood....

 
At 1/09/2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

seems to be the season...

yes! I would be up for a neighborhood tour!

 
At 1/09/2006 5:04 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Sorry to hear you are sick. Get lots of rest and feel better soon!

 
At 1/10/2006 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Take care and get better soon! DC is so full of history. Sure there's the famous stuff, but the neighborhoods are just as interesting.

 
At 1/10/2006 1:53 PM, Blogger Amie said...

A neighborhood tour sounds fun, wish I could join you.

 
At 1/10/2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

me too, Amie!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home