princess genevieve

jeudi, décembre 22, 2005

I'm Leaving

Not on a jet plane, and I do know when I'll be back again, but the point is, yay for Christmas vacation! My dad and I are taking off after work to start the looooong drive home to New Orleans. Plane tickets were outrageously expensive this year, and my dad bought a new car over the summer, so off we go.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I really hate car trips. My normal rule is if it's more than 3 hours, I don't drive. I'd rather fly. I'd even rather take a train for the same amount of time, because at least you can walk around and they have a snack car and an outlet for the portable dvd player, so the battery will never die. And those little flip down tables on the back of the seat in front of you.

Oh, and can I just say, about the transit strike in New York? It sucks, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it, and I'm worried my cousins won't be able to get to the airport for their flights home to New Orleans for Christmas. But I lived in Paris in 1995, and there was a transit (among other things) strike then. We had no bus or metro for basically all of November and December. I walked a lot. It was cold, yeah, but now I know how to walk to lots of places around Paris. But I believe that people have the right to strike. These workers are exercising their right. I don't really know enough about their goals to comment on the merits of the strike, but I don't think a strike should be considered "illegal."

6 Comments:

At 12/22/2005 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I'm with you on the car drive thing. It just seems like a total waste of time to me to be in the car that long when you can fly or take the train. And I agree that the peeps in NYC should be able to strike. I remember the transit strike when I visited you in Paris. I thought it was kind of fun, but I was just visiting and didn't have to live there. Have a safe trip and happy holidays!

 
At 12/22/2005 11:12 AM, Blogger Amie said...

Not a big fan of car trips myself..

Have fun in NO!

 
At 12/22/2005 12:40 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Have a safe trip and lots of fun spending the holidays in NO with the fam!

 
At 12/22/2005 3:30 PM, Blogger Bridget Unnel said...

Have fun on your trip and give my best to NOLA! (Since the strike is now over, I won't comment on it other than to say if something is expressly prohibited by law and you do it, it's accurate to call it an "illegal" activity.)

 
At 12/22/2005 5:51 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yeah, got that. I just think it's unfair to make that activity illegal.

 
At 12/22/2005 9:44 PM, Blogger Jasclo said...

merry christmas! have a good time!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home