princess genevieve

dimanche, mars 12, 2006

The Colonies


I went to a birthday party this morning, and from there, straight on to work. Since I was leaving from the party, I took the metro to work, and walked past the FBI building. Where I noticed this odd American flag.

The FBI building has all sorts of American flags in front. Ones with 48 stars. (and some with even less!) The one with the stars arranged in a circle. But this one? Was new to me.

Has anyone spotted a flag like this anywhere else?

7 Comments:

At 3/13/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger kris said...

I haven't seen these. But now you are on the FBI Watchlist for watching their flags. ;)

 
At 3/13/2006 10:10 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I know! I was actually wondering if someone was watching me take a picture with my phone. I'm sure they were.

 
At 3/13/2006 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Its the Grand Union Flag...

A little Internet research turned up:
"The Grand Union 1775: Also known as the Continental flag, it is the first true U.S. Flag. It combined the British King's Colours and the thirteen stripes signifying Colonial unity. George Washington liked this design so well that he chose it to be flown to celebrate the formation of the Continental Army on New Years Day, 1776, on Prospect Hill in Somerville, near his headquarters at Cambridge, Massachusetts."

 
At 3/13/2006 12:42 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

thanks, anon.

 
At 3/13/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Hmm. I have never seen that flag before either. You learn something new every day!

 
At 3/14/2006 8:20 AM, Blogger Amie said...

I just finished a John Grisham novel where some parts of the story took place in D.C. Here you are, walking by buildings everyday that I only read about in novels.

 
At 3/14/2006 11:08 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Molly, I think we should all be on the look out for this Grand Union Flag from now on.

Amie, trust me, it's not all that exciting :-)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home