princess genevieve

lundi, mars 13, 2006

Holidays

I've got a Sudoku a day calendar that Amy gave me for Christmas. It's sitting on my desk at work. It's got international holidays printed on it. Today is Eight Hours Day in Tasmania, Australia. What is that? It's also Labour Day in Victoria, Australia, and Commonwealth Day in the Commonwealth countries. Do you guys have the day off? Why is it only Labour Day in Victoria? Does New South Wales or ACT have Labour Day on a different day? Would it not be Labour Day if I spelled it Labor Day? Blogger's spell check didn't like labour. Does Blogger's spell check in Australia or England accept it?

I love having international holidays printed on my calendar, but as you can see, it makes me a little inquisitive. I suppose I could look up the answers to my questions, but I prefer to have information spoon fed to me! So anyone with answers, please leave comments.

Click here to see a very tiny sock.

4 Comments:

At 3/13/2006 3:47 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Eight Hours Day? that sounds like it could be intriguing, as long as it does not involve working eight hours of overtime or anything else that overtly productive!

 
At 3/13/2006 8:44 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

Whew! So many questions! Labour Day and Eight Hours Day celebrate the same thing - the advent of the Eight Hour working day. The theory being that each day should be divided in three - Eight hours work, eight hours play & eight hours sleep.
Western Australia has their Labour Day a week before Vic & Tas, Queensland has their's in May and NSW, ACT & Sth Aust have their's in October. Not sure why. It may have something to do with when the legislation was implemented as the industrial laws were administered separately in each state.
Regarding the spelling - Australian English includes a U in a lot of words that US English drops off - examples that come quickly to mind are labour, colour and neighbour. But to add to the confusion, when discussing the Australian Labor Party (our current major opposition party), the U is omitted (I don't know why). Hope this helps. :-)

 
At 3/14/2006 4:17 AM, Blogger Reuss said...

I wondered if the "Eight Hours Day" was along the lines of a day we had a couple of weeks ago to campaign against the growing culture of unpaid overtime in the UK... I think they called it "Work Your Hours" day or something, but it was more about the campaign rather than a celebration. Of course, I celebrated by working later than I do normally... *sigh*

 
At 3/14/2006 11:07 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Thanks, Paisley! (I was just teasing about the "u")

Reuss, working later than normal was probably not what they had in mind!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home