princess genevieve

mardi, avril 11, 2006

My Nemesis

Did I ever tell you I have a nemesis? I don't think I am his nemesis, though. Is that a requirement of the nemesis relationship? I don't really know.

It's this guy who I see at the bus stop not every day, but pretty frequently. He is always wearing black Chuck Taylors, jeans with a ratty hem, and a grey hooded sweatshirt. And he carries an old Nike bag that no longer zips closed. Anyway, he always has to be the first person on the bus! Every. damn. time. He pushed an old lady down today to be the first person on the bus.

He insists on being first on the bus, yet he pays in cash every time, which is (almost) as annoying as pushing down old ladies. You can pay in cash, bus tokens, or smartrip cards (like an automated pre-pay card - touch and go). The problem with paying in cash is the fare machine on the bus is a bit temperamental. It is good with change, tokens, and smartrips. Not good with dollar bills, and sometimes it takes people a few minutes to get it to eat their dollar. So he holds up all the other people.

He also doesn't like to let disembarking passengers off the bus. He wants to force his way onto the bus even if there are people trying to get off.

So. I've made it my goal to try and beat him on the bus every time I see him. Or to help someone else beat him on the bus. I don't care if I'm first or someone else, just as long as My Nemesis isn't first. He lives on my street, and I saw him walking up the street today as I left the building. I booked it to the bus stop, hoping to catch a bus right before he got to the stop, but I just missed one. He got to the stop about 2 minutes later than me, yet was still the first person on the bus this morning. He bested me today. Tomorrow is another day...

11 Comments:

At 4/11/2006 11:48 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

oh, how awesome would that be! (not the blowing up the bus bit, but the ME SAVING THE DAY bit)

 
At 4/11/2006 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

What a weirdo! I hope you win every time.

 
At 4/11/2006 1:31 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Thanks, Nabb.

I think I'll try to snap a picture of him next time I see him.

 
At 4/11/2006 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Okay, the dude is just weird and rude. Good luck with beating him on the bus...I will root for you every morning.

 
At 4/11/2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

thanks, Jayne!

 
At 4/11/2006 5:30 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Something to wake up for LOL Now you need some kind of scoreboad on your side line.

 
At 4/11/2006 11:05 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

oh, good point. Maybe I should carry a knitting row counter in my bookbag... left side Genevieve, right side My Nemesis.

 
At 4/12/2006 7:58 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Our subway/bus fee is up to $2.75 now, the upshot being we don't have paper money under $5.

 
At 4/12/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

wow, Miss Jay, that's a lot! Our base fare is $1.25 for the bus and $1.35 for the subway, but it can get a lot higher, depending on where you go. You guys do have the nifty dollar and $2 coins. We've got dollar coins but no one uses them.

 
At 4/12/2006 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I was in NYC last weekend and the subway vending machine gave me $4 in $1 coins for change (it only owed me $3 so I got an extra dollar back). I like them...I wish people would use them more often.

 
At 4/12/2006 1:09 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I like them too. I wish we'd get rid of paper dollars and just use the coins. You hardly ever get them here unless you actually go to the bank, so Jayne, you were lucky!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home