princess genevieve

lundi, juin 26, 2006

Adventures on the Bus, #34234

Friday night, taking the bus back downtown to meet Erika for a movie. We drove past a bank with a time and temperature thing. The temperature read 100. Which surprised me, as I didn't think it was that hot. But what surprised me even more was the conversation I overheard, recapped here:

Girl: Wow, it's 100!
Guy: That can't be right.
Girl: That's what it says.
Guy: That must be Celsius.
Girl:

Just like me, she had no answer for that incredibly stupid statement. Well, actually, I have an answer. It's not 100C. That would be impossible. We would all be dead because our blood would be boiling.

Is this why the rest of the world thinks of us as "stupid Americans"?

5 Comments:

At 6/26/2006 9:52 PM, Blogger Jasclo said...

HAHAHA! What a dork.

 
At 6/26/2006 9:56 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I suppose, to be fair, it would all depend on whether you are actually taught about celsius in school. Perhaps he just wasn't good at maths and science.
What is boiling point in fahrenheit? (I can't be bothered looking it up at the moment!)

 
At 6/26/2006 11:22 PM, Blogger Molly said...

sounds to me like a case of someone trying to sound smart while throwing around knowledge they don't really have!

 
At 6/27/2006 1:34 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Jasclo, yes!

Paisley, I was taught celsius in school. We only used celsius and the metric system in science classes. I don't know if everyone does it like that, though. (schools are regional here, not national; I don't know how they are done in Australia) Boiling in fahrenheit is like 320 or something? I can never remember. I can also never remember how to convert F to C or vice versa and only have a vague idea of what 28C would feel like. (hot, I suppose)

Molly, that is an excellent theory.

 
At 6/27/2006 5:16 PM, Blogger Amie said...

ROFL

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home