princess genevieve

jeudi, septembre 14, 2006

Annoying

I've been reading a book called C'est la Vie this week, and it's annoying me. It's a memoir of a woman who moves to Paris after her husband dies. For some reason, I find her completely irritating. She has moved to France, yet she doesn't seem to make an effort to speak French. She complains if she goes to a party where no one will speak English. She disdains American expat clubs, which I think can be very beneficial to expats, because she would only meet other Americans that way. (although she seems to read FUSAC with some sort of odd passion.) She admits her French is bad, but she doesn't take classes or have a tutor. She doesn't seem to do anything besides shop, eat in fancy restos, and sleep with her married boyfriend. She complains a lot about the price of linen. And name drops expensive brands all the time. And tells the story of flying back to Paris from the States over the luggage limit. By 17 bags. (!) Yet she tells her son they are "broke."

And there are some mistakes with the French they have written in the book... at one point, she asks her dog "tu parle francais?" It should be parles, with an "s". Simple error, but it's enough to make me, the girl with the worst written French in the history of written French, cringe.

Yet I continue to read. Sort of like watching a car accident or a house burn to the ground, I can't turn away until I finish the book. Please, let there be no sequels. I may be compelled to read that as well, and I really don't want to.

Also? I made socks.

5 Comments:

At 9/14/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I hate when I am reading a book that aggravates me, but I must carry on to the finish. (of course I usually drag my feet and avoid reading it as much as possible thus perpetuating the prolonging of my agony!)

 
At 9/14/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Oh I can relate, I am in the middle of an awful book too. There are so many plot holes. For instance, a couple is supposed to be adopting yet when its time to go get the baby the mother stays in the hotel because she has a migraine, and sends her husband to get the baby!!! Who would ever do that??

 
At 9/14/2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

usually, when I read something that I don't like, I quit it. For some reason, I can't quit this book! That is doubly annoying.

Amie, I agree! Unless the mother with the migrane was like, puking her guts out (and probably even then) she'd still go. It's not like she would have to drive herself there or anything...

 
At 9/14/2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I'm a bit like Molly - I persist even when I'm not enjoying it. Although I did turn a corner last year when I gave up on The Bride Stripped Bare - I just found her too annoying to even persist with finishing the book. It was quite a liberating thing to make that decision. (hmmm.... how sad does that make me sound?)

 
At 9/14/2006 10:18 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

oh - and the socks look good!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home