princess genevieve

jeudi, août 31, 2006

The Highlights & Lowlights

Trip. Is over. Whew. Now I'm home for 2 nights, and then off to New York for Labor Day. Luckily I treated myself to an Amtrak ticket for that trip, so I will be relaxing on the train instead of taking the Chinatown bus in Labor Day traffic.

So. The trip. Lowlights include:

  • My aunt getting caught in all that bomb scare stuff at JFK airport on Friday. My parents didn't get home with her until 1 am on Friday.
  • My dad ordered a size too small moving truck. We had to get rid of things like a sofa and 2 chairs & ottomans. (ottomen?)
  • I did not get as much reading in as I anticipated! I finished Middlesex yesterday, and Baby Proof this morning, but that's it. I also did not finish the knitting project I wanted to finish, and I only watched 2 of my 6 dvds.
  • A 6 am flight this morning, meaning I have been up since 4 am. I am a wee bit tired today.

Highlights include:

  • Seeing where my little sister lives
  • buying crawfish at the grocery yesterday to take home, which they let me take through security. I used frozen corn instead of icy packs to keep it cold.
  • Learning that the Hampton Inn, at least the one in Christiansburg, Virginia, is pretty nice.
  • All the Wendy's you can eat.

4 Comments:

At 8/31/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I read Middlesex. Very interesting. I live very near Petoskey, where she went to the er in the book.

 
At 9/01/2006 3:08 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

I'm very sketchy on distances in the US. How long does it take to get from DC to NY?

 
At 9/01/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Amie, cool! I love reading books where I know something about the area.

Paisley, normally, it would take 4 hours to get from DC to NYC by car. In the summer, it's about 6, because there's more traffic, and Labor Day weekend, probably between 6-7 hours. the train takes between 3-4 hours, depending on which train you're on and how many stops it makes. (but it's a question of price... the bus costs $35 roundtrip, and the train, $175. HUGE difference!!)

 
At 9/01/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Molly said...

I never understand why Amtrak is so majorly expensive. I wanted to take the train from Philadelphia to NYC one weekend and thinking it would be a quick jaunt it was about $70, totally not worth it! (though much nicer than taking a bus, you actually get electric outlets and personal space!)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home