princess genevieve

mardi, septembre 12, 2006

I Voted

The primaries are today. We voted on mayor, delegate, shadow senator and shadow representative, and city council. When I flipped through the sample ballots, I realized that the only people who had decisions to make were Democrats. The Republican and the Statehood Green party only had one candidate for each office, if even that. I had to make decisions for every single office!

When I went to the polling place, everyone I saw had a Democratic ballot. I know my city and my neighborhood are overwhelmingly Democratic, but I also know that several of the leaders of the Statehood Green party live in my neighborhood. I wonder if they didn't vote because there really wasn't much to vote on in the primaries, or if I just happened to miss them.

I put the "I Voted" sticker on my jacket. I was trying to get all the people outside the polling place not to tell me about their candidates, like they did on my way in. They didn't. Instead, they all told me "thanks for voting." One of those guys had a card table set up with a box of doughnuts set on it. I was hoping he'd offer them out - wouldn't it be great if candidates for mayor handed out doughnuts? Just like school elections. If I got a cupcake that said "VOTE ADRIAN FENTY" on it, for example, I'd laugh. But I also might vote for him. I love this idea. Would you rather get a cupcake or a pamphlet? I'm just sayin'...

5 Comments:

At 9/12/2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Molly said...

I could definitely be swayed by a baked good if my mind was not already made up...not to mention the chances of me actually reading a pamphlet before throwing it away or folding it in to a paper airplane is about 0% while me reading a cupcake before I ate it 99.9% chance...

 
At 9/12/2006 8:33 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I'd take the cupcake over the pamphlet any day - mostly because my mind's already made up before I get there anyway. We don't have primaries here. The US electoral system seems very mysterious and complicated.

 
At 9/13/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Amie said...

mmmm...cupcakes are a great idea! :D LOL, I would never change my vote over one but still...

 
At 9/13/2006 1:12 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

nah, I wouldn't actually change my vote for a cupcake, either! like Paisley, i had already made up my mind before I got there. but like Molly says, I would definitely read the cupcake before eating it. I don't read the pamphlets. (I don't even take them)

 
At 9/13/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

oh, Paisley. Yeah. I guess our system is a bit complicated, what with the electoral college and all. But regualar elections are actually pretty straightforward. The primaries are to determine which candidate each party will put forward for the general election for each position. There can only be one for each party. (but you could run as an independent, too) So for the primaries, you can only vote in the party you are registered with. So now our primary has decided who we will put in the mayor's race against the Republican and Statehood Green candidates. And any independents that turn up. (if any.) and we all vote in the general election, which is in November.

but it's not manditory voting like in Australia. (cupcakes might increase voter turnout, methinks)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home