princess genevieve

vendredi, septembre 08, 2006

School Days

I've started school again. I'm in a Master's program at LSU, studying library science. I'm only taking one class this semester, and it's online. Well, since I'm still living in Washington, online was the only way I was able to even start this semester. I thought about deferring until January, but I decided I really wanted to start now.

The online class thing is a bit weird. This is the first one I've taken. You just go in, read the class notes once a week, and post to the discussion board. You submit your homework by the due date. So far, it's going fine, but it's only been a week.

I'm also not used to homework. Besides the fact that I've been out of school for five years now, my last schooling was law school. There's no homework in law school. You do your reading, which I guess is homework, but there's nothing to turn in. The only grade for the whole semester in law school is the final exam.

When I first went to law school, I was really nervous about only having one grade for a whole semester. But overall, I actually really liked it. I couldn't imagine having to study for exams more than once during the semester. At least my homework in this class isn't exams - it's actual projects.

8 Comments:

At 9/08/2006 12:53 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Assignments can be pretty aggravating, but you can probably handle one class worth - is it at least interesting so far?

 
At 9/08/2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

well, our first assignment is to make a powerpoint presentation. I've never used it before, so I guess it's been interesting trying to figure out how to use it. Luckily my friend in NYC, Martha, does powerpoint for her job, so I got a mini-tutorial when I was up there last weekend.

And yeah, one class worth of assignments will be fine, I'm sure!

 
At 9/08/2006 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Exciting! Library science has always sounded like a fun degree to me. Does this mean you'll be moving back to Louisiana sometime to take classes there?

I've been back to doing homework for 3 years now, and I am still not used to it. How did I find homework normal for the first 17 years of my schooling?

 
At 9/08/2006 4:19 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yep, the plan is to move back to Louisiana as soon as I find a job... I don't want to stop paying on my current student loans and I don't want additional ones, so I'm trying just to pay for this degree myself.

 
At 9/08/2006 11:06 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I did some of my library subjects online when I was doing my course. I remember one of them was taught by the head honcho of the main library at my university. I met him at an awards evening just after I finished and he was really excited as I was the first student from that course that he had actually met in person.
Combining work and study is always a challenge, but it is doable. The promise of the fresh qualification and new job possibilities is a great incentive.
Good luck with the job hunt in Louisiana.

 
At 9/10/2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Library Science sounds so interesting, I hope it goes well!

 
At 9/11/2006 12:47 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Did you get your homework done? I am not a big fan of having homework to turn in either, though I must admit that I find doing Powerpoint Presentations to be rather addicting!

 
At 9/21/2006 6:52 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

I had no idea you wanted to go into library science. I have somehow managed to make a career in libraries without a library science degree but you certainly don't make the same money.

My friend Gary finished library school this December. If you have any questions, I should refer you to him. He has great advice.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home