princess genevieve

mardi, septembre 19, 2006

I was robbed

Really. Someone stole my bank card number (not the card, just the number) and about $500 out of my bank account. Which in turn overdrew the account. (I knew how much money was in there, but apparently, the thieves didn't.)

I discovered this on Friday. I called the bank right away. They cancelled the card, and told me I'd have the money back within 10 days. 10 days! That seems like an exceedingly long amount of time. I have bills to pay! I am fortunate to have nice parents who were able to help me out in this emergency situation.

I then went over to the bank. They were even less helpful, if it can be believed. I withdrew all the money that was left in the account, even though there is still a pending charge from the thieves and they didn't want to let me withdraw all the money. They don't know how much the pending charge is, though. I told them the account would just be overdrawn again, then, because I am not leaving money someplace that I know it will get stolen.

I took my cash and the check from my dad and deposited it in my credit union account. As soon as I get the stolen money refunded, I'm closing the bank account.

I asked the bank if they monitor accounts for suspicious activity - all these charges were made at a gas station in Brooklyn, NY. I would think that $500 at a gas station in New York over a 2 day period by a person who a. buys gas about once a month and b. doesn't live in New York would seem suspicious. But they don't even monitor accounts. (I asked at the credit union - they do monitor accounts. They also said that while it might take them 10 days to refund my money there, too, if I needed it, they could give me an emergency loan.)

9 Comments:

At 9/19/2006 12:51 PM, Blogger DDanielle said...

Our Credit Union does monitor accounts. When my husband started to buy gas more often (because of work), they called to check on it. I was surprised, but thankful that they did that.

 
At 9/19/2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yeah, that is exactly what I want them to do! I was glad to hear that my credit union monitors accounts too - as soon as I close the bank account I am going credit union exclusivly.

 
At 9/19/2006 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

That sucks! Bank of America is really good amount monitoring accounts, almost too good they have cut Oron's account off a couple of time (usually when he does his usual pre-Israel big shopping sprees), but he has fixed it with a quick phone call. It sounds like someone in a restaurant or store on your NY trip took your number and gave it to a friend who works at a gas station, otherwise how could they buy gas without a card? Plus, they'd need your expiration date...

Reb

 
At 9/19/2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yeah, I mentioned Bank of America's deal to Chevy Chase, and they said, "oh. we don't do that." I said, "that's not very competative of you, is it?" and they just said, "no." I guess they don't care!

The weird thing is, I didn't use this card at all in NYC. Not one time. I only use that account to pay bills and I use my credit union account for spending money. I was wondering how they bought gas without the card, too... obviously they were in cahoots with the gas station... (I kind of love the word cahoots)

 
At 9/19/2006 11:07 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Crappy, I'm sorry you had to go through that. It would have really thrown me for a loop too...I usually know the balance in my chequing account to the penny. Do they know how the number was obtained? They sound a little unconcerned.

 
At 9/20/2006 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Uhg, sorry about that. On the good side, though, I've always had better luck with credit unions than banks. Still, thieves, no good (the kind who steal money and the kind who work at banks.)

 
At 9/22/2006 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

yikes! go kick some bank booty!

 
At 9/23/2006 10:53 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Oh thats awful! One of the things I worry about a lot! I hope its all sorted out.

Once, my cousin was travelling with several car loads of friends and he filled all their gas tanks for them. His credit card company called him to make sure that it was him.

 
At 9/23/2006 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

That sucks! And too bad that the bank is leaving you in such a bind. I'd close the account, too. Good luck!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home