princess genevieve

mercredi, janvier 24, 2007

Tim Tams!

Last night I needed Tim Tams. Not for me, for a gift. The only place I know where to buy them here is the movie theatre. Luckily for me, it is right across the street from my office, so I popped over when I left work.

I went down to the snack bar, bypassing the ticket sellers. There was no one at the snack bar! Apparently, I should've checked the movie times - I guess it would have been better to come right before a movie started. But finally they sent someone over to help me.

As the employee was washing his hands, the manager turns to me and says, "What movie are you seeing?" At this point, I got a little nervous. Can you buy snacks from the snack bar if you're not seeing a movie? Is this allowed? I kind of giggled (SO embarrassing!) and said, "Um, well, I'm actually NOT seeing a movie. I just need Tim Tams, and this is the only place I know that sells them."

The manager grinned, laughed, and said, "I know that's right!"

I bought my very expensive cookies (Paisley, or anyone else with said knowledge, how much do Tim Tams cost in Australia? I paid US$6.50 for the pack) and went on my way. Hooray!

Libellés :

7 Comments:

At 1/24/2007 5:37 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

I don't even know what Tim Tams are!

That must have been awkward. But it's so funny! I wonder how many people walk in just to get concessions!

 
At 1/24/2007 9:58 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I'm not sure what Tim Tams are, but they sound vaguely familiar, have you mentioned them before?

 
At 1/25/2007 2:25 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

damn blogger - just lost my comment... now I'll have to type it in again..... ummmm... What was I saying, before I got so rudely interrupted... oh yes.
Tim Tams are currently $2.98 AUD at my local Safeway which equates to about $2.32 USD.
I reckon you'd have extra freight costs unless Arnotts makes Tim Tams in the US (I have no idea about this). But if your movie theatres are anything like the ones here, all the lollies, popcorn, soft drinks are sold at massively inflated prices (double or more) compared to supermarkets and other regular stores.

 
At 1/25/2007 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I think I had tim tams once. Not sure....hmmm...When we have the snack cravings, my husband will run to the store just to get a Snickers or Kit Kat bar

 
At 1/25/2007 12:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have never heard of Tim Tams. Now I am going to have to check and see if they sell them around here. I never buy concessions at the movie theater so I don't even know what they offer!

 
At 1/25/2007 12:37 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Malady, Amie, Molly, they are cookies. Delicious, delicious cookies. Amie, yeah, I think I may have mentioned them before - Paisley sent me some for my (our) birthday last year.

Paisley, I don't think they are manufactured anywhere in North America, so extra freight costs for sure. Plus the movie theatre prices are hugely inflated here as well. You can easily spend US$10 on just popcorn & soda. (don't tell anyone but I often bring my own snacks to the movies.)

Malady, I doubt many people walk in just to buy concessions! I mean, their choices aren't that stellar. (although this theatre does sell beer & wine now, which is nice... but are you going to go there just for a drink? I doubt it!)

 
At 1/29/2007 12:16 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

it's interesting - that term "concessions" - I understand what you mean by it, but we'd never use that term in common parlance.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home