princess genevieve

mercredi, octobre 03, 2007

Ze Pigs with Ze Black Feets

Last night, I went to dinner with two others who are in town from the Washington office as well. We went to a restaurant I have been to several times before, specifically chosen by me for their delicious chocolate mousse.

Anyway. One of the others wanted the pork, but I wasn't sure of the exact translation of some of the items listed as being on the plate, so she asked the waiter when he took our order.

In English, he says, "Oh, you know, it's ze pig. Ze pigs from Spain. With ze feets. [he makes a little hoof out of his hand] Ze feets are black. Is very good."

I thought at first that he was saying the dish was made out of pigs' feet. My colleague apparently did too, because her eyes got pretty big. But she bravely ordered it anyway. I finally realized that what he meant was the MEAT came from these pigs with the black feet, not that they would be serving feet.

There were no feet on her plate.

Libellés : ,

5 Comments:

At 10/03/2007 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh, they're Serrano pigs. Those are the pigs that they make the best ham in Spain from. When they make the hams, they actually leave the black hoof on the ham to prove that they are Serrano pigs. Pigs feet aren't bad...they're a little weird, but not bad..

 
At 10/03/2007 9:39 AM, Blogger Amie said...

You and your friends are brave to be trying all these new dishes. I am NOT adventurous with food.

How did he make a hoof with his hand?? Did he put his fingertips on the palm of his other hand? LOL, I just can't picture how he did it.

 
At 10/03/2007 9:47 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

ah, yes, I know the Serrano ham!

Amie - pretty much like you describe, the hand-hoof. He took his left hand and sort of held two fingers on each side, making a little space in between them, and curved them up underneath. Then sort of stamped the "hoof" into the palm of his right hand.

 
At 10/03/2007 11:20 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I'm just impressed that they knew what sort of pig it came from. I guess the provenance of food is becoming more of an issue for many people.

 
At 10/04/2007 10:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I never knew there were special pigs with black feet! Was it especially good? And I totally must admit that my reading comprehension is not always spot on...I at first thought it was about "ze pigs with ze BACK feet" and pictured genetically mutated pigs with hooves coming out of their backs!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home