princess genevieve

lundi, septembre 17, 2007

Conversations with a French Four Year Old

This weekend, I was in Amiens, in France, with some friends. They have a four year old and an 18 month old. Alexis, the four year old, was cracking me up all weekend. On Saturday, he was really in to learning English, and he actually did quite well with the pronounciations. We learned colors and various random words that popped into his head. Issues arose when he asked for the word to "poussette" and I wasn't sure whether to teach him English English or American English. So we tried "push chair" which was a bit much to swallow. (It was the chair part that was tricky) "Stroller" wasn't any better, though!

Yesterday, we spent a lot of the day outside, and Alexis at one point went in to watch a movie. He was in the living room alone, and I popped into the house for something, so we had a brief conversation.

Me: ca va, toi?
Alexis: erm, Genevieve? J'ai une petite probleme.
Me: ouais, quoi?
Alexis: Le papa de Simba est mort!

translated, it's

Me: You ok?
Alexis: erm, Genevieve? I have a little problem.
Me: yeah, what?
Alexis: Simba's dad is dead!

Once we established it was a problem with the movie, and not an actual problem, all was OK!

Libellés : ,

4 Comments:

At 9/17/2007 12:25 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Aww, little kids are so funny! That cracks me up that he told you he had a problem and it was that Simba's dad died :-)

 
At 9/17/2007 6:22 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Awwww...he sounds so sweet!

 
At 9/18/2007 1:46 AM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

my friend told me today that her 4 year old said, "I wish I could marry mommy." after she explained that you can't marry your mommy, he said "okay, i'll marry princess leia."

 
At 9/18/2007 9:40 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yeah, he's super sweet & funny.

Sarah, I bet that little boy is joining the ranks of many little (and big) boys wishing to marry princess Leia. cute :-)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home