princess genevieve

vendredi, septembre 14, 2007

Adventures on the TRAM, #1

Although there is a bus and a metro here, and even a pre-metro (ask if you really want to know what it is), mostly, I take the tram. I like the tram. You can see outside. There is a tram stop right across the street from my hotel, and it's a direct line to the office.

Anyway. Last night I left work around 8:30, and I got on the tram. Since my totally awesome Secret Pal 11 had sent me a package yesterday, I had an extra bag with me. The tram was pretty empty when I got on, so I took a whole seat. (The way the seats work here is that a seat for two faces another seat for two, making a little box for four... like on the Paris metro or a New Orleans streetcar if you turn the backs of the seats around.)

So, I had put my two bags down and then I sat down. Basically, I was taking up 3/4ths of the seat for two, but the seat facing me was empty. TOTALLY empty. And this woman came and sat down right on top of me! I couldn't believe it. So I scooted over a bit and picked up my bags and put them in my lap.

Then I decided that was silly - there was a whole empty seat right across the way. So I moved. The woman who stole my seat was having a conversation with someone sitting directly behind me, but not in our little box of seats. In some sort of unidentifiable (to me, at least) African language.

I totally don't get it. If you're going to chat with someone, why not sit together? In an EMPTY seat, perhaps? Why sit on top of me?

Libellés :

3 Comments:

At 9/14/2007 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

That is so irritating! I can't stand it when people do things like that. Take advantage of the space, people.

 
At 9/14/2007 11:19 PM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

this phenomena freaks me out in public restrooms too. 4 stalls, i'm in the far left, all others are empty. why would someone come in and take the one right next to me.

 
At 9/15/2007 11:21 PM, Blogger alt.ayu said...

oh dear this is just totally bizarre and annoying at the same time!!! I always meet people like that in an empty metro (or mrt here) carriage. and our seats line the walls of the carriage. so there are always strange people who wouldn't sit next to each other and chat but they must yell their conversation across.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home