princess genevieve

jeudi, septembre 13, 2007

Ready... Steady...

Cook!

Last night I watched two shows on BBC2 with Ainsley Harriott. One called Ready Steady Cook and another called Take on the Takeaway. This was in efforts to keep myself awake until a normal bedtime to fight off the jet lag. I made it to 8:45.

First of all, I think it's really funny that English English says ready steady go when American English says ready set go. Why the difference here? I've no idea.

Anyway, on Ready Steady Cook, there are two chefs who have helpers (are they celebrity helpers? I don't know - I didn't recognize either of them) and they are in a race against the clock type of competition. I don't quite get all the rules, and I don't think it's exactly Iron Chef, but sort of similar.

But at the end, one of the chefs starts describing s'mores, which no one else had ever even heard of. He describes them as "toasted marshmallows on digestives with chocolate sauce." Um, what? As a former girl scout who has made her fair share of s'mores, I can tell you, there are no digestives involved, nor chocolate sauce. Let's try graham crackers with a chocolate bar, using the heat of the toasted marshmallow to melt the chocolate, mmmmkay? (maybe the issue was there is no such thing as graham crackers in England? Bryony? Anyone?)

Take on the Takeaway kind of reminded me of Take Home Chef, a bit. Ainsley goes into someone's apartment, where they order their favorite takeaway and he cooks the same thing in (hopefully) less time. He has three goals - beat the takeaway in terms of cost, time, and taste. He took on a Jamacian takeaway place last night and won all three.

Which reminds me... English English = takeaway, American English = takeout. Such small differences, but they make the language uniquely fit each place.

Libellés : ,

4 Comments:

At 9/13/2007 11:21 AM, Blogger alt.ayu said...

hmm that's interesting u know. We sometimes say "to go" to the fastfood people although "takeaway" is a more popular word. Since schools teach English English here, I was often corrected when I spelt colour as color, and pronounced vase rhyming with base. I still say either as 'eeether' and spell with Colorful Splendor though. Hahaha

 
At 9/13/2007 11:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is a neat idea for a show where you order take out and the chef tries to beat it in price, taste and time. Very cool!

 
At 9/13/2007 1:53 PM, Blogger Reuss said...

They sometimes have celebrity helpers, but then I think they point it out by calling it "Celebrity Ready Steady Cook" or similar, and mention whatever the celebrities are appearing to plug at every available opportunity.

The rules are, sort of, the helpers turn up with a handful of miscellaneous things, and the celebrity chefs construct a meal around them. But I think as rules go, they're pretty loose - given that the "winner" is chosen by a show of hands in the audience (effectively)...

I've only heard of S'Mores on the internet and I am fascinated by the mystery - I haven't the faintest idea what would be in them. In fact, until your post, I suspected that they might be some sort of deep-fried cheesy breadcrumby thing. I guess that's something else...

I have absolutely no idea what graham crackers are. Nor how you would combine them with marshmallow and a chocolate bar to make something else.

 
At 9/14/2007 1:40 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

We have an Australian version of Ready Steady Cook (exactly the same as the British except that, sadly, we don't get the pleasure of the lovely Ainsley Harriott hosting). "S'mores" were a complete mystery to me until I made a point of looking them up on wikipedia a few months ago. "Graham Crackers" are also pretty much a mystery to non-Americans. I think British digestives (digestive biscuits - ie cookies) are the nearest equivalent for the sake of explication which is probably why Ainsley used them in his explanation.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home