princess genevieve

mercredi, novembre 03, 2004

November Travels: East Coast Tour

I'm traveling a lot in November. Here's Part 1, the East Coast Tour.

Friday, Mandy & I left for New York. It was a fun trip. We hung out in Brooklyn with Martha, went to a Halloween party, and saw Bombay Dreams.

The Halloween party was at a bar called Puck's Fair in SoHo. I was dressed like a pirate. When you dress like a pirate for Halloween, you get a lot of people saying "Arrr!" and "Aye, Matey!" One guy, who was dressed as a Romanian prostitute handler (I had to ask), started telling me a zillion jokes, like, "What's a pirate's favorite letter?" "Arrr!" "What's a pirate's favorite school subject?" "Arrrrithmatic!" "What's a pirate's favorite vegetable?" "Arrrtichokes!" As I walked away, he said, "A pirate! That's a fucking original costume." and what, exactly, is a ROMANIAN PROSTITUTE HANDLER? A dime a dozen?

I already know what I'm going to be for Halloween next year, but shhhhh, it's a secret. You'll just have to wait & see.

Bombay Dreams was really fun. I've been wanting to see it since I first heard about in on NPR when it opened London, I think about 2 or 3 years ago. I loved the dancing. I loved the costumes. In the first act, they are filming a Bollywood movie, and a huge giant fountain comes up from the middle of the floor. It was fantastic. We got the tickets from tkts so we paid half price for really excellent seats, about 10 rows away from the stage. I want to go buy the soundtrack.

Sunday night we went to the Halloween parade in the Village. It was no Mardi Gras, but it was still really fun. Really crowded, though. In the beginning we couldn't see anything, except the puppets that were on sticks and were high up. It lasted about three hours. There should have been more bands, but otherwise, it was a great parade.

Monday we left for Philly for some Kerry campaigning. I'm too sad to write about it today, so I'll write about it tomorrow.