princess genevieve

mercredi, août 17, 2005

1986

When I was in the 6th grade, we moved. It wasn't a very far move, as we still lived in the same county, even, but I still had to change schools. I was really mad at my parents over this move. In addition to changing schools, I changed Girl Scout troops, and I joined the one at the new school.

This new troop was really different from my old troop. They met right after school (my old troop met in the evenings). It was only 6th graders in the troop. My old troop was for anyone who fit the grade requirement, so 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. And most importantly, everyone was assigned one day during the year to read a poem out loud to the group, and a different day to bring a snack.

On my poem day, I completely forgot to bring a poem. I realized it right around lunch time, and I rushed to the school library, where I checked out a book of A.A. Milne poems that we also had at home, and I read a poem about Christopher Robin going to Buckingham Palace with Alice. At the meeting that day, the leaders praised me for being so prepared and choosing a good poem. (most girls forgot the poem on their day). I was really embarrassed. I wasn't prepared! I didn't chose the poem, it was just the only one I remembered from the book as being OK! Of course, I didn't say that, I just kind of blushed and sat back down.

Today on the bus, that poem showed up in the book I am reading, and it made me feel embarrassed all over again.

and yeah, I forgot the snack on my snack day, too.

7 Comments:

At 8/17/2005 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Yikes! I remember Girl Scouts being filled with lots of anxiety. When I was younger there were a few bullies in the group--when I was in upper elementary school my mom was one of the leaders and I found that embarrassing.

Really, who had the idea of pulling together a bunch of fickle little girls?

 
At 8/17/2005 11:11 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

for the most part, I liked Girl Scouts in the old school. It was just the new school that was not so fun!

 
At 8/17/2005 11:26 AM, Blogger Molly said...

I never did the Girl Scout thing, but it sounds to me like you were a fast thinker. Who cares if you forgot your poem at least you thought fast and remedied it...I would think that you wouldn't have to bring snacks, just keep a stash of Girl Scout cookies on hand for the entire year of meetings. Oh gosh now I really want a Samoa (Caramel Delight...whatever they are called in this region these days)

 
At 8/17/2005 11:50 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yum, samoas. I've got a box in the freezer at home.

 
At 8/17/2005 2:11 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I'm insane with jealousy. I always mean to put a box in the freezer, but they just seem to disappear on me!

 
At 8/17/2005 2:18 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

trick is, buy 2, and put one in the freezer RIGHT THEN. then you tend to kind of forget about them until you're really craving them.

or, try the Edie's Girl Scout cookie ice cream. It's a good substitute!

 
At 8/18/2005 11:25 AM, Blogger Molly said...

Girl SCout Cookie+Ice Cream=Sinfully Tempting...must go to store to find some!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home