princess genevieve

lundi, août 01, 2005

Superfans strike again

Ben Lee was playing last night in Baltimore, so Rebeccah, Erika and I drove up to go to the show. The show itself was great. It was in a very small club, with a tiny tiny stage that kind of felt like you were on the stage when you stood up close. There were maybe 100 people there. Ben was happy and looked like he was having a lot of fun, unlike the last time I saw him.

However? The Superfans (tm Nabbalicious) were there. Erika asked me the other day if I thought they would show up, and I said no, because I thought they were Aimee Mann's Superfans, not Ben Lee's. Oh, no. Apparently they became Ben's Superfans, too. Erika noticed them right away when we got out of the car.

The thing that is most annoying about the Superfans is that they seem to want to tell everyone around them about their experiences. Like going to the show isn't enough, you must also prove you're a bigger fan than anyone else. Witness conversation between male Superfan (who at this point had purchased and donned a Ben Lee t-shirt over his regular shirt) and poor victim non-Superfan girl:

Superfan: Have you seen Ben Lee before?
Girl: No, this is my first time.
Superfan: OH, well, we've seen him 4 times this summer! 3 times opening for Aimee Mann. Oh, and when we saw Aimee Mann, we met her whole band. Everyone except Aimee. And they signed our book for us.
Girl: um.
Superfan: And the second time we saw Ben? We kept asking for We're All in This Together and he finally played it and came over and stood on top of our table.
Girl (with an increasingly strained look on her face): ok

See! Annoying!

6 Comments:

At 8/01/2005 12:38 PM, Blogger Molly said...

One of these days you are SO going to have an all out brawl with the superfans to prove you are bigger fans...I can see it coming :-)

 
At 8/01/2005 12:49 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I can see it coming, too, to be honest. When I saw the Superfans approaching the stage, I kind of pushed my way up, because no Superfan was going to stand in front of ME!

 
At 8/03/2005 11:21 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

that would've been awesome. i wish I knew their ebay id -- I'd outbid them on a bunch of stuff just on principle.

I am not going to Wolf Trap tonight :-( I hope it's great -- I will be anxious for your report. I wanted to go, but I have a Junior League meeting tonight, and in addition, I'm in an anti-Wolf Trap mood this summer, so I didn't even try to get out of the meeting.

 
At 8/03/2005 2:31 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

no, nothing wrong with it, per se, but I would really recommend getting there early. last time I went, they ran out of parking, and we had to park kind of far away and hike back. also if you have lawn seats, you definitely want to get there early, as you can't see from most of the lawn seats.

I like your idea of topping the superfans. someone really needs to put an end to their superfan-ness! I'm kind of hoping you run into them now :-) well, that's for my own entertainment, of course. for your sake, I hope you don't.

 
At 8/04/2005 9:59 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Wow! they started early? that's insane!

I'm glad you did get to see adorable Ben. (as opposed to grumpy Ben; witness: Rams Head circa June 2005) Was it just him & Lara or was the whole band there?

 
At 8/04/2005 2:32 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

awesome! we got the whole band at Sonar, too, but of course, that was only like 100 people.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home