princess genevieve

jeudi, février 02, 2006

Groundhog Day!

Today's Groundhog Day. What a weird thing, really. Even stranger is that it's marked on the wall calendar I have at home as being a holiday, but not on the wall calendar I have at work. I wish it were a real, honest to goodness day off of work holiday! Wouldn't that be cool? Staying home just to see if the groundhog saw his shadow.

I guess we're in for six more weeks of winter, since old Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow. Does anyone know how this tradition came about? I have no idea. I just remember hearing about the groundhog and his shadow for, well, ever, but I don't know why if he sees the shadow we'll have six more weeks of winter.

7 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 1:09 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

Who knows if this is accurate, but...


http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm

 
At 2/02/2006 1:17 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

thanks, malady! interesting stuff.

 
At 2/02/2006 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I have to say, I'm wishing for 6 more weeks of winter...real winter, not the global warming winter we're having here in Maryland. It would make me feel better if we just had one big snow before spring came, even though I know global warming is still happening.

 
At 2/02/2006 9:53 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

If it wasn't for Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell, most of us here in Oz wouldn't have even heard of Groundhog Day (and when the movie first came out I thought it must a made-up tradition - it sounded a bit too far-fetched to be true!).

I notice however, that it is marked on my Japanese prints calendar so I guess it's real. ;-)

 
At 2/02/2006 11:11 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Jayne, I know. this winter has been really warm with very little snow.

Paisley, it is a completely silly holiday! I can see why you would think it was made-up.

 
At 2/03/2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I still don't think winter has arrived in NC. I only got to wear one winter coat for about a week. My other winter coats have been sulking neglected in my closet waiting for some cold weather to arrive.

 
At 2/03/2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I know, Molly, my poor coats. I need to get the lining replaced in my pink coat, but I haven't even bothered since I haven't needed it this year. (although I should go ahead and do it so it will be ready on the off chance I need it!)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home