princess genevieve

vendredi, mai 26, 2006

Around the Neighborhood


Seems like everyone I know in the neighborhood was out last night. Of course, to be fair, I don't actually know very many of my neighbors. None of my friends live in my neighborhood (although a lot of my friends live close enough for me to walk to their houses). I really only talk to one of my neighbors, and I really only say hi to a couple others.

The neighbor who I know is Michael. Michael lives in the only other apartment on the same floor as mine. He brings in my mail when I go on vacation. I saw him last night walking down the street, and we walked together for a couple blocks until I decided to go to Safeway and he decided to go home. Michael's moving at the end of June, he hopes, which is too bad for me. But good for him as he bought a condo not too far from where we live now.

The other neighbor I saw last night was this guy and his daughter who also live in my building. I don't know the guy's name but his daughter's name is Natasha and she's invited me over to meet her cat. They were in Safeway at the same time I was.

We don't have apartment building meetings or socials, which I think would be nice. I'd like to meet more of the neighbors. We do have ANC (like town meetings) meetings for the whole neighborhood, and I've always meant to go to them, but they're on the first Wednesday of each month. I also had a Junior League meeting on the first Wednesday of each month, so I haven't gone to any ANC meetings. There aren't any Junior League meetings over the summer, so I should try to go to an ANC meeting or two over the summer.

Do you know your neighbors? How did you meet them?

7 Comments:

At 5/26/2006 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I am so bad about meeting neighbors. I recognize several of the people who live in my side of my building, but we're doing good if we say hi when we pass. Maybe this summer, as I'm out on the porch more, I will meet more of them.

 
At 5/26/2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yeah, I think being outside would help. We've got a nice courtyard and sometimes people (especially those with kids - they all seem to know each other) are out there. I should bring a book down and hang out when the weather's nice. I've got a lawn chair!

 
At 5/26/2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Molly said...

You could always arrange the social to meet everyone in your building! Maybe Michael will want to be in and throw a going away party :-)

As to my neighbors, I know my neighbors on one side as their kids play in the yard and are always talking my ear off and inviting me to birthday parties, etc. They don't mind that I am a northerner since they are from the Midwest!

 
At 5/26/2006 4:23 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Molly, I have thought of that idea! But then I worried that if I didn't like any of them, as the "host" I'd be stuck staying to the end of the social. Especially if it were in my apartment. We don't have a lobby or a common room or anything.

 
At 5/27/2006 11:50 AM, Blogger DDanielle said...

We have lived in our house for almost 4 years. We really only have one direct neighbor....his name might be John....his daughter is Josie....maybe.....there is a wife there too, actually have NEVER seen her....only hear her. There are neighbors across the street. One I met when there was a fire at the part store (which is vacant) next door...her name is either Shelly or Sherry...haven't seen her since then. Next door the people who live there have brittneys (a type of dog). We never saw them until last summer (after Sherry/Shelly told us about them). It is really weird because we have a brittney but got ours before we even knew they lived there. Anyways....we don't know anyone, we rarely acutally see them. Everyone really keeps to themselves....OH other than the group of guys who sit out at a picnic table on the street during the summer and watch everyone....but they seem a little to weird to approach.

 
At 5/29/2006 3:28 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

I live in a block of 4 units. On one side there's the single gay guy who I know well enough to say hello and remind him that cigarettes will kill you.
On the other side is a girl and guy sharing (I don't think they're a couple) but they pretty much keep to themselves. On the other side of them is a fellow in his 50s who's partially paralysed from a stroke. The nosy lady over the road warned me that he likes to go the grope, so I try and steer clear of him.

 
At 5/31/2006 1:38 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

ddk, sounds like you know less neighbors than I do! and Paisley, yes, steer clear of the grope-y old man, please!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home