princess genevieve

vendredi, septembre 22, 2006

Educating the Masses

I just called my cable company to ask a couple questions, and when the woman answered the phone, she said, "Which state do you live in?" I answered, "The District of Columbia." She paused, and said, "Oh, that's D.C., right? Someone else called it that the other day and I didn't know what he was talking about." I replied, "Well, since we don't actually live in a state..."

She interrupted me. "Yeah, that's what he said! You don't live in a state! That must get tricky."

I replied, "Well, we don't have a Congressperson or a Senator. So, yeah, tricky. We don't have representation in our own federal government."

She said, "Yeah, that's what the other guy was telling me, too!"

I'm glad I'm not the only resident to try and tell people we have issues here...

3 Comments:

At 9/23/2006 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I was explaining that one to some students at work just this week. "But they get to vote for one of the Senators anyway, right?" No kid, they don't get to vote on anyone who is going to vote in Congress.

Hey, I saw a DC license plate driving through town the other day. The weird thing was that it was not the "no taxation without representation" plate. Do they still have those?

 
At 9/24/2006 12:05 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Yep, we still have those license plates! That's what's on my car, in fact. It might have been an older plate that you saw (if it said either "a capital city" or "celebrate and discover" then it for sure was!) Or, they could have opted out - the slogan is the default plate, but you can request a plain one if you don't want a political slogan on your car.

 
At 9/24/2006 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I don't remember what it said, but it was shiny and new, as was the car. I am curious who it belonged to, since I figure anyone who opted out of the "taxation" plates was a Republican from out of town--and I didn't know there were any Republicans who lived in DC. :)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home