princess genevieve

mercredi, octobre 25, 2006

Simply Home

Last night, my friends Robin and Byron took me out to dinner, to thank me for watering their plants when they were on vacation. Unnecessary, but as I do like dinner, I decided what the heck, and I chose a restaurant none of us had ever been to. Simply Home. A Thai restaurant inside a store. For some reason, I was imagining it would look like The Cracker Barrel, but honestly, it was much nicer than that! You wouldn't even know it was also a store unless you, well, knew it was also a store. There was a very tiny doorway into the store, but you couldn't even see it from where we were sitting.

Anyway. We ate yummy food, despite initial disappointments. (They were out of mint, so Byron didn't get his mojito, and they were out of shiitake mushrooms, so Robin & I didn't get the appetizer we wanted.) And then, Robin and Byron were finishing up their drinks, when someone came over and told us they needed the table and could we move to the lounge area, please.

Um. No. I said no, Robin said no. The guy sort of huffed away. And OK, we got there at 7:30, and it was after 9:30, but still! We drank a lot, so it's not like they were losing much money on us hogging the table. Not one minute later, another guy came over, apologized, and said, "You are just as valuable to us as the new customers! May I offer you a complimentary dessert?"

Well. I said no, Robin said no, the guy walked away. Byron said, "Why'd you both say no! I was about to say yes." And then, about five minutes later, the second guy shows up again, with a plate in his hand, and three forks, and tells us he wanted us to try the green tea cheesecake anyway. Being polite, we did. It was delicious. It sounds kind of gross, I think, but it was quite refreshing and tasted like mint chocolate chip ice cream. But that could have been the green color and the chocolate sauce on the plate tricking my mind.

Libellés :

5 Comments:

At 10/26/2006 7:39 AM, Blogger Jay said...

What a strange experience, though I'm glad it was good on the whole. It's funny when restaurants just run out of certain foods. I mean, you're a restaurant, this is what you do.

Also: who doesn't like dinner?

 
At 10/26/2006 10:50 AM, Blogger Mama said...

I hope I have the nerve to say "no" if ever asked to surrender my table - VERY princess-like!

 
At 10/26/2006 2:09 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Jay, yeah, I agree! I mean, one thing if they happened to run out of one item - like, "oh, our mint guy didn't make it in today." but to be out of 2 things? Weird.

Also: annorexics?

Dennis' Mom, you should try it sometime! :-) I didn't say no rudely, I hope. Just, no, you'll have to wait for us to leave.

 
At 10/26/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Ooh what did you have? Thai food is my very favorite. I miss the days of cheap quality Thai restaurants right around the corner from where I lived in St. Louis.

 
At 10/26/2006 3:34 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Well, it was sort of a Thai-flavored place, but not like a typical Thai place. We started with crab rolls and garden rolls. (since they were out of mushrooms) Then I had tempura shrimp with garlic rice. Robin had burmese noodle stew and Byron had some kind of duck. I was debating between the pad thai & the tempura, and I asked the waitress, & she said the tempura. It was good!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home