princess genevieve

mardi, octobre 17, 2006

The Continents

How many continents do you think there are? I was listening to a song from The Drowsy Chaperone, and she says something like "6 excruciating continents, Antartica, please." Meaning there are 7 except she isn't counting Antartica for these purposes.

I always learned there are 7 continents. Africa, Antartica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. I think that's the way most Americans learn it, if I'm not mistaken.

I was in Barcelona once, and I actually got into a fight with some Spaniards over this! We were at a concert where they were doing a fireworks show in tribute to "The 5 Continents." I stood there watching, when suddenly, I realized there are 7 continents! No matter what, the Spanish stood by the 5. They told me the continents are Africa, America, Asia, Europe, and Oceania. Apparently, North and South America are all one big continent, and Antartica doesn't count.

Sure enough, when they got to the America portion of the concert, it was North and South American music all mixed together.

I still stand by my 7 continents. What did everyone else learn? And do you learn the name of the continent as Australia or Oceania?

Libellés : ,

8 Comments:

At 10/18/2006 3:46 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I learned there to be 7 Continents including Australia.

 
At 10/18/2006 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

You know, I have friends who think there are only 5. But, I think that has more to do with them being bad students and not paying attention in elementary school.
BTW-- did you know you're an African American Barbie? I can never remember the name of your blog, and when I searched for it today, I found a bunch of web sites for the new Barbie, "Princess Genevieve." You can purchase yourself at Wal-Mart for the low price of $16.95!

 
At 10/18/2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

We learnt the 7 continents here. Australia is the name of our country and the continent (although looking at this map, I think PNG might be part of the Australian continent as well). Oceania is only a region for the purposes of grouping neighbouring countries countries together. New Zealand and the rest of the Pacific are on a separate tectonic plates to us.

 
At 10/19/2006 12:13 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

whew. I think those crazy Europeans learn a different system than us! Glad to know I learned things correctly, at least according to the American & Australian systems.

A, yes, Amelie told me that! She wanted to know if I was going to get it. I told her I wasn't allowed to have Barbies.

 
At 10/19/2006 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I think it's Antarctica, I recall being felled by this at a school spelling bee.

 
At 10/19/2006 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I think it's Antarctica; I was once felled by this word at a spelling bee...

 
At 10/19/2006 2:42 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I'm sure you are correct... weird that spell check didn't pick that up.

 
At 10/20/2006 10:43 AM, Blogger Amie said...

I learned seven, and I just recently taught Isaac seven. I learned Australia.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home