princess genevieve

mercredi, octobre 04, 2006

Marie Antoinette

For the past couple nights, I've been watching a special that was on PBS last week about Marie Antoinette. (I taped it.) Though she is not my favorite historical queen (that would be Eleanor of Aquitaine) it's still pretty interesting.

I'd never really thought much about Marie Antoinette. I've read a lot about Eleanor, and also about Elizabeth I, but not so much about Marie Antoinette. The program presents the perspective that she was just a silly, unfortunate girl, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've been waiting and waiting to see Sofia Coppola's new movie on the same subject. I hope it's good - I love the trailer, so that's a good sign.

Does anyone else have a favorite queen? Or is that weird?

Libellés :

7 Comments:

At 10/04/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Jay said...

You know, I was just going to say that I've never known anyone who has a favourite queen. But I like rarities in people, so I'm glad you do.

 
At 10/04/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

Yes, I have a favorite queen: Anne Boleyn. I know that is weird, okay? But in a time when to refuse the king was liable to get you beheaded, she got him to break with the church just so he could marry her. And she wasn't pretty, so she had to have a lot of charm (and maybe a little fur lining) and probably a pretty good brain, too. She has always fascinated me.

 
At 10/04/2006 5:47 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I like Anne Boleyn, too. She's my favorite of Henry VIII's wives. (is that weird to have a favorite wife?! I may be outing myself as a super weirdo here...)

 
At 10/04/2006 9:01 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I'm reading a book on Mary, Queen of France (sister of Henry VIII and wife of Louis XII) at the moment so she is foremost in my mind. I'm not sure that I have a favourite queen, but I always thought that out of Henry VIII's wives, Anne of Cleves actually got the best deal.
I'm also quite intrigued by Queen Anne - she of 17 pregnancies resulting in one live birth (poor woman!) and that one child only lived to about 13. But her reign was probably most notable for the rise of the Churchill family and the building of Blenheim Palace - fascinating stuff.

 
At 10/06/2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

I don't really have a favorite queen either. Maybe Queen Ellen? No, I think if I had to choose, I would choose Hatshepsut although she was really a pharoah.

 
At 10/08/2006 7:30 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I really don't know much about the queens. I did watch the movie Elizabeth starring Cate Blanchett. Thats about the extent of my Queen knowledge. I just saw a preview for Marie Antoinette. That looks really good.

 
At 10/11/2006 2:00 PM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

I am definitely going to say Queen Adelaide since she is Addie's namesake, followed by Queen Victoria (Queen Adelaide's niece-in-law) who happens to share my Adelaide's birthday. Royalty all around.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home