princess genevieve

mardi, octobre 17, 2006

Nutrition Talk

I went to a lecture last night at the Junior League on nutrition. I really only went because my friend Holly organized it, and she asked me to come, but parts of it were quite interesting. Here's what I learned:
  • You shouldn't eat fat-free dairy. Not skim milk or fat-free yogurt or anything. Your body doesn't absorb the calcium unless there is some fat there too. You can use 1% though.
  • Women shouldn't go on super low carb diets as it reduces the levels of seratonin in our brains and that causes depression.
  • French fries are really, really bad for you.
  • You should eat more than just a yogurt for breakfast.

And here's how I incorporated that into my daily life, so far:

  • I ate French fries with my dinner last night. OK, they might kill you, but they are delicious. I didn't eat them all, though, so that's worth something, right?
  • I bought 1% milk at the grocery.
  • I ate just a yogurt for breakfast. But for lunch I had a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, cheese & crackers, and a banana. Does that make up for it?

Libellés : ,

5 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I probably don't want to know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Why are french fries in particular really bad for you? Is it just that they're really fat filled and most of the time they have trans fats? What if you get trans fat free french fries?

 
At 10/17/2006 3:07 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

French fries - sigh. trans fats are bad, yeah. but also, the way they are fried creates a carcenogen (sp?) that can cause cancer.

 
At 10/17/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

at the risk of sounding all school-marmish, you should have more than just a yogurt for brekkie. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Some carbs early on in the day (either a low-ish sugar content cereal or some toast with a scraping of butter and jam or honey or peanut butter - avoid margarine - full of chemicals!) will help kickstart the body, the brain and the metabolism.

 
At 10/17/2006 11:17 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yes, I know! Usually I do eat a bit more for breakfast, but today I was running late & had to eat at my desk. I've an English muffin with strawberry jam + juice planned for tomorrow, with a 10:30 snack break also.

(and no worries, I don't use margarine! only real butter here.)

 
At 10/18/2006 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

So it's actually the frying process that creates carcinogens? So all fried foods are bad...even trans fat free ones? Oh well...still going to eat fried food...

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home