princess genevieve

vendredi, décembre 15, 2006

The Giant Nutcracker

So, I was walking to the cheese shop during my lunch break, and lo and behold, there was a holiday market on the street! I sort of walked around it, because I didn't have time to wade through crowds of people. BUT. I did see a giant gingerbread girl, Christmas tree, and nutcracker. (these were people in costumes.)

The part that cracked me up? The nutcracker. He was being lead around the market, shaking hands with people and getting hugs from small children. But I guess the guy in the suit couldn't really see out of the big head, because he had a helper. His helper was a Downtown SAM who was leading him around by the belt. (Downtown SAMs are people we have stationed on the corners downtown who have maps, and you can ask them questions like "where's the closest metro station? where should I eat lunch? how do you get to the natural history museum?")

I wanted SO MUCH to take a picture for you guys, but my camera phone isn't letting me email photos right now. (there has been a picture of My Nemesis on there for a week!) Must get that fixed...

Also? Whenever I see a Downtown SAM, I get this commercial stuck in my head. It's a sort of hometown tourist commercial that used to play in New Orleans, where they would sing, "New Orleans is your oyster, Downtown is the pearl." I suppose trying to convince locals to venture away from Uptown and come Downtown. I'm not sure how well it worked, but the song sure is catchy!

Libellés :

4 Comments:

At 12/18/2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Ooh man. Seeing a Giant Gingerbread is WAY better than Santa.

 
At 12/19/2006 10:22 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Molly, of course!!

 
At 12/19/2006 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Interesting about the SAMs, i've never heard of anything like that. Do other cities have them?

 
At 12/19/2006 10:41 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Amie, I don't know... I've never really seen anything like it anywhere else. I think it's pretty cool & they can be quite helpful.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home