princess genevieve

dimanche, juin 17, 2007

World's Fair, 1984


(I got a scanner for my birthday! Here is my first scanned photo.)

In 1984, the World's Fair was in New Orleans. I went with my family. I don't remember all that much about it, considering I was 9 years old, but I do remember this photo. Behind us is a Space Shuttle. Yeah, that's cool and all, but what I remember is that there's another cousin who was present that day, not pictured here. My cousin Lee.

Lee apparently did not want her picture taken. So much that she screamed and yelled and when my uncle tried to pick her up and carry her into the photo, she bit him.

So here we have me, my sister Leslie, my sister Amanda, my cousin Katie, and in the front, my cousin Anne Yvette. I'm pretty sure Anne Yvette's brother Rick was also there that day, but he was a baby and maybe he was napping or something when we took this picture.

The other thing I remember about this day is that isn't my dress I'm wearing. It's Katie's, and I think Amanda is wearing one of Lee's. I can't remember why we weren't wearing our own clothes that day! The green visor, though? All mine.

I also think this might be the last photo where I am taller than all the other kids. As you can see, Leslie was quickly gaining on me, even though she's two years younger. They're all taller than me now.

Libellés :

7 Comments:

At 6/18/2007 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Is Lee taller than you? Dean? P

 
At 6/18/2007 12:23 AM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

i love that photo. something so wonderful about the color film back in 1984. oh and i'm the shortest and oldest of my sibilings too.

 
At 6/18/2007 11:14 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I think Lee is still shorter than me, probably not Dean! But of the ones in the photo...

Sarah, your siblings are really tall. How did that happen?

 
At 6/18/2007 3:45 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

Cute photo! This is so weird because I just started reading the new Pynchon book last night and it takes place at the Chicago World Fair in the 1890s. Synchronicity!!!

 
At 6/18/2007 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

We were wearing Katie and Lee's dresses because we wanted to wear dresses and didn't have any of our own with us. That's what I remember, though I can't imagine traveling during the summer and not having those blue, red, and white striped dresses with us. Also, I do believe that you are, in fact, taller than Lee.

 
At 6/18/2007 5:39 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

A, now that you mention that, I do remember that that is the reason why we're wearing their dresses, but you're right, that seems weird. If you had said Leslie had traveled without a dress I would buy it, but not so much you and me. Do you think it was because maybe we had spent the night at their house and didn't have all our clothes? Now I'm perplexed!

 
At 6/19/2007 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

That must have been why. I know we spent the night at their house. You and Leslie slept in Katie's room, and I slept in the extra bed in Lee's room. We probably didn't have time to go back to Grandmother's to get our own dresses.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home