princess genevieve

jeudi, mai 31, 2007

Take the STING Out of the Spelling Bee!

Walking to meet Rachael for lunch yesterday, I passed the Grand Hyatt Hotel. They are currently hosting the National Spelling Bee in there, and there were all these trailers and filming type people hanging out in front. And...

There were protesters. Serious. Protesters at the Spelling Bee. At first I thought maybe they were protesting competition. You know, all kids are winners and that stuff. But no.

Turns out, they were protesting spelling. Yes. Spelling. They are recommending we reform the way English is spelled so that it will improve literacy rates. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but they were handing out brochures so I took one. Not because I think it's a good idea, mind you. But because I think it's a hilarious idea, and I'm always up for collecting brochures for hilarious ideas.

Libellés :

9 Comments:

At 5/31/2007 4:29 PM, Blogger Amie said...

LOL good grief

 
At 5/31/2007 6:54 PM, Blogger djLicious said...

I dont no, I think ther on tu sumthing.

 
At 5/31/2007 9:20 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Amie, exactly.

djLicious, I wil keep this n mind 4 fuchur corespondance with u.

 
At 5/31/2007 11:51 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

Can you scan the leaflet? I'd love to know what they're specifically advocating.

 
At 6/01/2007 5:01 AM, Blogger Reuss said...

Share the leeflet! Do they practiss wot they preech?

There was a quote from the protest placards on the BBC news website yesterday: "Take the I out of Friend!".

Your name and mine will be first against the wall, come the revolution.

 
At 6/01/2007 8:29 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

The best part was that they WERE NOT practicing what they preached - their signs were all in perfectly spelled English!

And since it was only two people protesting, I think we're safe from spelling anarchy.

 
At 6/01/2007 9:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is quite funny. Though wouldn't it mess up all the people who learned to spell correctly if it is suddenly thrown out the window and anything goes? I would like the opportunity to use umlauts freely, perhaps I should join the movement!

 
At 6/02/2007 9:07 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I will scan & copy the brochure when I get home!

Rachael, it was more than 2 people by the time I walked back to work... more like 6!

Molly, I say, embrace the umlaut and go for it!

 
At 6/03/2007 3:15 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

Free umlauts for all I say! Cedillas an optional extra. :-)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home