princess genevieve

jeudi, mai 17, 2007

Rationing

In yesterday's comments, Jay asks how the rationing is going. I'll tell you, Jay, to be honest, NOT THAT WELL.

Apparently, we suck at rationing.

I had four treats yesterday. That's right, four. And others had more. Justified by a particularly explosive afternoon. We're down to 2 Leos, some Cote d'Or chocolates, and some weird cookies. I brought in an XXL bag of m & m's (the plain kind, Katia) to supplement. And some sour gummi bears.

In other news, today is a Belgian holiday. The office is closed, but I'm still in for the whole day. All the restaurants around us are closed, too, so yesterday I stopped at the grocery and bought a lasagna to heat up for lunch. Yum, I know you guys are jealous.

In other other news, last night, I went out with some girls from the office. It was me, Erin, who is another American, 2 Spainards, and a German. After dinner, we went to a bar and had a beer. After about 30 minutes, I looked down and realized that while Erin and I had both finished our beers, the other girls were only halfway through.

I whispered to Erin, "We're the only ones done!"

She looked down. "um. I think it's because we're American," she replied.

A bit later on, we looked over, and a whole tray of exceedingly girly looking drinks were being delivered. You know the kind. Some were pink. None had umbrellas, but they should have. Erin and I start to sort of giggle when we realize they're being delievered to a table of all men. Then the waiter says, "Who has the Pina Colada?" and we crack up when this guy reaches out for it. We then had to explain to the other three that we were laughing because American men would never order such girly drinks in a bar. MAYBE drink them at home. But not in public.

Another cultural adventure, brought to you by La Princesse.

Libellés : ,

3 Comments:

At 5/17/2007 3:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not very good at rationing either. If it is there it keeps calling to me!

I didn't know chugging was an American thing :-)

 
At 5/18/2007 9:27 AM, Blogger Mama said...

Rationing - not good.
Rationalizing - too good.

Also, when I was in Ireland a friend and I caused a bit of a stir because we ordered pint beers instead of the more lady-like 1/2 pints. Eventually the Irish folks got used to us : )

 
At 5/18/2007 9:30 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Molly - we weren't even chugging! just normal speed drinking.

WMK - I heard the same thing in Ireland, but it was from English boys, who said to me & Robin, "we didn't know girls drank pints!" we thought, "um, what else is there?" I asked the Irish bartender and he said, "Who told you that? Those English blokes? Irish girls drink pints. English girls drink half pints." :-)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home