princess genevieve

lundi, avril 30, 2007

Money is Universal

Friday night, I went out with some friends, to a bar. Now. Washington is divided into wards, which basically means which area of the city you live in. I live in Ward 1. The bar we went to was in Ward 3. Your city councilmember represents your ward, so you vote based on what ward you live in.

We got to the bar, and there were people handing out free appetizers. Now, I'm not one to turn down free food, so I helped myself. In case you're wondering, we had chicken quesidillas, crab cakes, spanikopita, and bread.

A little while later, Robin and I were waiting at the bar, when this woman approached us, asking to talk to us about a candidate running for city council. OK, for me, there is no election... my city councilmember was elected in November! This guy is running for Ward 4, which happens to be Robin's ward.

I politely explained I live in Ward 1, and while I will be happy to partake in free appetizers, I have no interest in speaking to a candidate I can't vote for. The woman politely explained to me that that's OK... Ward 1 money is just as good as Ward 4 money! (the same woman told another friend that "money is universal.")

Keeping in mind that the election is tomorrow, I just wasn't sure why they were out looking for funding. Shouldn't they be out trying to get votes? If I could vote in that election, I wouldn't vote for that guy just based on the fact that he doesn't seem to want to talk to the people who would be his constituents, 3 days before the election.

I didn't give him any money. I did keep eating his snacks, though.

In other news, I am off to Brussels again tomorrow. I'll be back at the end of May. And I got a package over the weekend! Click here to see it.

Libellés :

3 Comments:

At 4/30/2007 1:25 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

I was hoping it was going to be your BookSwap package. Darn it!

 
At 5/01/2007 1:54 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

Hey - have a good flight.

How many levels of government do you have in the states? All these different elections sound very confusing! (I agree though that trying to raise funding at that late stage is a bit silly when you think that votes should be the primary thing on their minds)

 
At 5/01/2007 11:43 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Nope, sadly!

Paisley, thanks. As for levels of government - usually 3, local, state, and federal. However, where I live isn't a state, so our local government serves as our state government as well. They are having this special election for city council (local/District government) today because their councilmember was elected mayor, so they need to replace him!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home