princess genevieve

mardi, avril 17, 2007

Ice Cream

Today is free cone day at Ben & Jerry's. If you're around a Ben & Jerry's scoop shop and don't mind waiting in line, you should stop in. It's free. Free ice cream. Awesome.

When I was little, sometimes we would go to Baskin-Robbins for a treat. I always wanted bubble gum ice cream, but I was never allowed to have it. I think my mom thought it was gross. Mostly because you were left with two options. 1. Chewing the gum as you found it, which means by the end of the cone, you've got a giant mouthful of gum, or 2. spitting the pieces of gum into a cup and saving them for later, which may seem appealing to an 8 year old, but now I can see why it would be so disgusting to watch.

But. My parents used to send us to our grandparents' houses for the summers when we were little. My dad's parents would let us do whatever we weren't allowed to do at home. Well. Not whatever whatever. I mean, things like getting Happy Meals from McDonald's and eating Honey Nut Cheerios. All I would have to do would be tell Grandpa I wanted bubble gum ice cream, and I would be sure to have it at least once on the trip.

Traveling without parents does have its advantages, after all. Even if those advantages are in the form of Care Bear waffles and disgusting flavors of ice cream.

Libellés :

9 Comments:

At 4/17/2007 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Can I just tell you that to this day, I still love bubble gum ice cream! I chew the gum as I eat the ice cream and I love it, though I can see why many people would think it's gross. I eat it on average once every 2 years...

 
At 4/17/2007 4:36 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

do you eat it in a cup or a cone? the idea of crunching on gum and a cone at the same time is sort of yucky to me...

 
At 4/17/2007 11:33 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

hmmm - even when I was a kid - my favourite ice-cream flavours were usually the fruity ones - boysenberry in particular. Although now I have the occasional weakness for cookies and cream.
I've never liked chewing gum - I found it gross even quand j'etais petite (sorry - can't do the accents on this keyboard)

 
At 4/18/2007 1:55 AM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

i remember the first time i had ice cream with "crushings" in them and i chose gummy bears. not a good choice unless you like frozen gelatin.

 
At 4/18/2007 9:35 AM, Blogger Mama said...

I am grinning ear to ear because I totally used to get the bubblegum ice cream, spit the gum into a cup while eating the ice cream (from a "cake" cone), and then happily enjoy the gum.

That was part of the beauty of being #9 of 10 in the family birth-order, my parents were so over worrying about how gross bubblegum icecream was : )

Thanks for the Baskin Robins flash-back!

 
At 4/18/2007 10:24 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Paisley, I don't really like gum either! (although I did as a kid) and I can't do accents on my keyboard either.

Sarah, my cousin chose gummy bears one time - we tried to talk him out of it, saying they'd be too hard, but he insisted. He threw it out... they were too hard.

Dennis' Mom, you were a lucky girl!

 
At 4/18/2007 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I would actually eat the ice cream in a cone, so yes, would chew gum and eat the cone at the same time. It was an art!

 
At 4/19/2007 5:00 AM, Blogger Amie said...

I remember eating bubble gum ice cream :D It was nasty gum, but for some reason it was cool because it was in the ice cream.

 
At 4/19/2007 12:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Man I am bummed to have missed out on free cone day, though I did have a cone of Gelatto that was out of this world and well worth it's money. I never tried bubble gum, but not that surprising considering I don't care for bubble gum :-)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home