princess genevieve

lundi, mai 14, 2007

Please let me in!

This weekend, I went to England to visit Bryony. We had a really nice time, but I almost didn't make it! The customs guy at Heathrow didn't want to let me in to the country!

Bryony was picking me up at the airport, so I didn't have her address with me, which is something you need to put on your landing card. I left it blank. So he asked me where I was staying, and I explained. When I didn't have the address, he asked to see my return ticket. Um. Petite probleme. I had an eticket. So I didn't actually have the return ticket. Then he asked for my itinerary. Um. Also small problem. I hadn't printed it out, I had just written it in a notebook. So I showed him what I wrote down and he said, "Well. But that's just something you wrote yourself. That's not official."

Finally, he asked me for Bryony's number. He left, taking my passport with him, and called her. A few minutes later he came back to me, and said she confirmed everything I had said, so I was allowed to enter the country. Whew! And poor Bryony, answering the phone, expecting it to be me, but instead getting this official Heathrow immigration guy. But I honestly think if she weren't British I may still be standing at this guy's desk. I got a lecture from him about how they can't do this for everyone, and I have all these other UK stamps in my passport so I must know the rules. I fully admit this situation was my fault. I will always bring these items with me from now on!

In any event, once I made it in to the country, we had loads of fun! We did some shopping on Saturday, and then some knitting. Some of their friends came over on Saturday night, and we watched Eurovision and Bryony made me a birthday cake! (Saturday was my birthday.) Sunday we tried to go tour a cottage, but it was closed. We drove around Eton looking at rich boys in weird clothing. It was raining a lot on Sunday so we gave up soon after that and came back home for more knitting.

One more weekend left in this trip - I am going back to France, for baby Constance's christening. Hooray! I love having weekends planned with friends. It makes the work travel so much more enjoyable.

PS - Thank you to everyone who sent me a birthday email/text message/present. I'll post about the presents soon, maybe even tonight.

Libellés : ,

4 Comments:

At 5/14/2007 1:46 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

Sorry your birthday present didn't make it to you before you left for Europe. But now you will have something to open when you go home!

 
At 5/14/2007 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad your trip wasn't stalled too long by customs--other than that it sounds like fun!

 
At 5/14/2007 9:35 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

So do we get a Princess Genevieve review of Eurovision?
Glad to hear that they let you in - never underestimate the officious-ness of immigration officials - in any country!
Sounds like you had a nice relaxing weekend.
(I listened to the Katia/KylieMac/Genevieve podcast this morning - v. cool to hear what you sound like - and not dorky or daggy at all!)

 
At 5/15/2007 3:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hello, and happy belated birthday. If you are still in Belgium, and looking to spend a weekend yarnshopping - you can contact me.

Dominique

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home