princess genevieve

vendredi, août 10, 2007

En Vacances

For the most part, living in Belgium is not that different than living in Washington. (Well. Aside from the living in a hotel, eating out all the time bits.) However, one thing is really different... vacations!

Nearly everyone takes a vacation in August, including the restaurants near our office. So many places have signs up this week saying they are closed for the week for holidays, and they will be back next week or the week after. One place I went to today was out of almost everything, and they are on vacation for next week.

The place right across the street, that I really like, has been open, but the regular owner who is always there isn't there. His parents are there instead! They have sort of got a system down now, where the mom fills the orders and the dad puts them in a bag, but it's still not as fast as usual (although it's never all that fast) and I've gotten a couple of somewhat dodgy receipts this week. (though I think they will suffice for my expense report)

This would never happen in Washington. Places just don't close for a week. They would find substitute people to come in.

I don't mind if people want to go on vacation - in fact, I think it's great. It's just a bit annoying when you have to go hunting for lunch!

Libellés :

4 Comments:

At 8/10/2007 3:00 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Yes, that sounds very different from America! I have never saw a business shut down. Heck, hardly any of them shut down on Holidays anymore.

 
At 8/10/2007 4:32 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I know! Even on Thanksgiving and Christmas you can find open stores. Although, oddly enough, where I live, most stores are closed on New Years Day, which I would think would be a big shopping day!

 
At 8/10/2007 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

FOOTBALL!! Pop

 
At 8/12/2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

when we have visitors from Korea or anywhere in Asia it's not unusual to find them taking a nap at their desk, head down. I hear this is a totally normal thing to do but I can't help but feel like we're in a global game of 7-up.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home